INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to play FLAC files through DNLA on Denon HEOS?  (Read 6831 times)

joetiii

• World Citizen
How to play FLAC files through DNLA on Denon HEOS?
« on: November 02, 2019, 05:41:37 pm »

Denon has come a long way in improving it’s HEOS app, though it is still a long way from using JRiver Gizmo. Currently I have a situation which I think is a simple fix in JRiver, but not sure where to make the change so asking for help.

All my music is on a WD Mybooklive hard drive which is cabled to my router. Denon HEOS app can play files directly from that drive as it has a lite version of Twonky. Can play genres, albums etc. but have not been able to use playlists so it’s really not much of a program. Anybody that uses HEOS app know that playlists are limited to 300 songs and of course, there is no such thing as a Play Doctor which Is a feature I love. But I digress.

When I have my computer on, the HEOS app can also see my music as a generic DNLA wherein the app can also read and play my  JRiver playlists. Hooray! This was not possible on previous HEOS software. Anyway the situation is this. I am trying to play FLAC files tHrough the generic DNLA but they are being played on my HEOS Devices as 320 MP3 files. I can play that same song in TWonky and it is playing back as 24 bit FLAC. I am hoping there is a function within JRiver that controls this feature so I can get playlists to play full resolution files.

Anyone know how I can accomplish this?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How to play FLAC files through DNLA on Denon HEOS?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 07:59:49 pm »

On the server side, in MC, you can set the conversion you want.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 04:10:34 am »

My advice is to forget the HEOS app, and DISABLE the Twonky server (as they will simply confuse you).

Check the wiki here: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Network

Turn on the three Media Server settings in MC: this will allow your Denon to appear as a renderer in the top left of MC.

Then make sure that your media files are visible as a simple shared file folder to your PC. Then set MC to include that folder in its library.

This will allow MC to browse your existing files on the router, and push them to your Denon. You have a wide choice of formats that MC can push (i.e. Original format, or converted).
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

joetiii

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 05:54:34 am »

Thanks folks.... I was able to push tunes to each device last night but only figured out how to get Play Doctor to work. No Play lists yet. I will read up on  wiki and report back when I get it working 5he way I want.

joetiii

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 06:43:41 am »

On the server side, in MC, you can set the conversion you want.

Jim, In the media server section I have checked the box to play the original audio file only. No conversions. Yet HEOS app still says the file is a 320 mp3. When I go into the Gizmo app and look at the different audio qualities, the highest resolution is 320. Can I assume that The flac file is actually playing but the display on server can only show 320 and not flac?

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 07:03:52 am »

As mentioned in my prior post I suggest to ignore the HEOS app entirely, and use a pure MC only configuration. In the MC application at the top is the Now Playing status bar which will tell you the track details etc. and to the right of that is a little gear wheel button, which if you mouse over it, will tell you (Audio Path) what exactly is being served.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 09:16:06 am »

@joetiii in MC go to Tools>Options>Media Network>Add or configure DLNA servers>Select the appropriate server (You probably currently have just one)>Audio>Mode and select Original.
This will stream your FLAC files as FLAC instead of converting them using "Specified output format" to MP3.
If you need to setup a more complex scenario you can explore "Specified output format only when necessary" or setting up additional DLNA servers and assigning them to specific devices.

joetiii

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2019, 11:40:02 am »

@joetiii in MC go to Tools>Options>Media Network>Add or configure DLNA servers>Select the appropriate server (You probably currently have just one)>Audio>Mode and select Original.
This will stream your FLAC files as FLAC instead of converting them using "Specified output format" to MP3.
If you need to setup a more complex scenario you can explore "Specified output format only when necessary" or setting up additional DLNA servers and assigning them to specific devices.
Bingo..... Works like a charm. I had been trying to change back to "original" in the regular options section rather than the DSP section where it allowed me to make those for my generic DLNA.

I didnt't know I could push the music to the HEOS devices and much much prefer using Gizmo to control music playback. Only reason I would be using HEOS app is to control volume in each zone as well as play some of my favorite stations on TuneIn. I suppose I should figure out how to do that next.

Thanks Guys, you're the best!

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2019, 06:03:49 pm »

Only reason I would be using HEOS app is to control volume in each zone as well as play some of my favorite stations on TuneIn. I suppose I should figure out how to do that next.

The volume slider at the top left of the MC application on the PC will send volume adjustment and mute commands to the respective renderer.

joetiii

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2019, 07:15:33 pm »

The volume slider at the top left of the MC application on the PC will send volume adjustment and mute commands to the respective renderer.

I’m familiar with the volume on PC but looking for and easy way to adjust volume within Gizmo. It used to be a numeric value for volume that displayed within Gizmo. Not no more 7nless it can be added ....

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2019, 08:33:05 pm »

On an Android phone running Gizmo, use the physical volume keys, which will adjust the volume in the MC Zone being played to, and on the first adjustment, or after a short delay between adjustments, will show the volume level in percentage form and dB adjustment on the phone.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

joetiii

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2019, 02:26:01 pm »

On an Android phone running Gizmo, use the physical volume keys, which will adjust the volume in the MC Zone being played to, and on the first adjustment, or after a short delay between adjustments, will show the volume level in percentage form and dB adjustment on the phone.

This display does not show volume level on my Samsung device.

Ideas?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2019, 04:56:52 pm »

I don't have a Samsung, so not really.

On my Sony the popup shows if I just press the Up Volume button once, rather than holding it down. Does your Samsung not show it on one press?

I also see the popout volume slider on my Sony, which at least gives a rough indication of the volume setting. Do you see that?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

joetiii

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2022, 12:40:08 pm »

Ok so I am back in the saddle with refining my playback to Heos DLNA devices (10 month story for another time). It is my understanding that in Media Networks Audio setup, I can select Original, Specified output format, and Specified output format only when necessary.  Original is what I had changed to prior to my server crashing. However, I am finding there is a difference in volume levels between files, so I discovered that in order to activate volume leveling, I need to select  Specified output format. Then I choose PCM24 bit as the highest level audio playback format. I assume is is better quality than high bandwidth Mp3. Correct?

I am also looking to add EQ to each device since acoustics of an all concrete home cannot be tamed by Heos simple bass & treble control. Am I correct in reading that I need to set up separate zones for each device and then create a separate DLNA audio setting for each zone?

How about if I want to play the same playlist to both devices at same time. I think I can link the zones, but since I always use Gizmo, I can create a separate zone with both devices, right?

If so, it would seem I lose eq functionality for individual devices. Hmmmm.

As always, the communities feedback is always appreciated.

Joe
Pages: [1]   Go Up