INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best way to combine library fields (Solution presented Thanks!)  (Read 398 times)

jctcom

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!

Hi all.  I found an old thread on this here: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=41382.0

But 1 it's pretty old and 2 I am not sure it really addresses what I am trying to do.

At some point I was a total noob in using MC (Still am but less so) and I ended up accidentally creating multiple fields for the same data.  Ex.  "UPC"  and then at some point I created "Barcode".

Once I had discovered I had done this I started inputting the info in both places but the fact is that some of my albums have the info in "UPC" and some of them have it in "Barcode".

So with the goal of keeping "UPC" and getting rid of "Barcode" is there a way to easily transfer all the data from "Barcode" to "UPC" before deleting "Barcode"?  Also if "Barcode" happens to be empty I wouldn't want to overwrite "UPC" with blank data?

I thought at 1 time if you tried to rename a field the same as an existing one that it popped up with a message warning that they were the same and did you want to merge them? But now at least that is not the case.  It will not allow you to create a new field with the same name as an existing one.

Thanks in advance.

Carl

zybex

• MC Beta Team
Re: Best way to combine library fields
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2022, 03:06:14 am »

You can go to Audio->Files, add both columns, sort by UPC, select all files with a blank UPC, right-click, select LibraryTools -> Move/Copy Fields. Set the source to Barcode and the destination to UPC.

Another way is to select all files, go to the tag editor, select the UPC field and enter "=FirstNotEmpty([UPC],[Barcode])" (replace the "[varies]" text with that expression).

Make a library backup first.

jctcom

• Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
Re: Best way to combine library fields
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 11:48:09 am »

Thanks.  This was a big help.

Carl.
Pages: [1]   Go Up