INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Media Center... thanks~  (Read 1728 times)

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
JRiver Media Center... thanks~
« on: May 31, 2022, 07:31:04 pm »

OK, I'm the first to admit, that i have posted comments here regarding minor concerns I have with MC and how it operates.

But I also want to be the first to admit that JRiver's Media Center has earned a solid place in my [mostly audio] media experience.

And for that I say, Thank-You to all those involved in bringing this amazing media-managing and media-experiencing software to the forefront for me.

I mean, Wow, just friggin' wow.   This is some very amazing software.

To gain competitive advantage you have to do what no one else is doing or do whatever it is they're doing so much better than they are, that you're doing what no one else is doing anyway.  The herd only provides the illusion of well-being. 

JRiver Media Center has that competitive advantage.

Thank-you.

=========
Vinyl: Shure V15VxMR, Shure VN5MR stylus, VPI Scout turntable
Shellac: Shure M91, Shure N75-3 stylus,  Dual 1218 turntable

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JRiver Media Center... thanks~
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2022, 10:35:36 pm »

Wow!  Thank you! 

To gain competitive advantage you have to do what no one else is doing or do whatever it is they're doing so much better than they are, that you're doing what no one else is doing anyway.  The herd only provides the illusion of well-being.

Where did that quote come from?  I like it.

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2022, 10:56:46 pm »

Wow!  Thank you! 

Where did that quote come from?  I like it.

An IBM employee said it (I think) on a Compuserve forum way back in the 80's. (things are hazy from back then...)  It struck such a chord with me that I copied it into my ~cool quotes~ document.

I wish I could give appropriate credit to the person who said it, as he also proffered so much other wisdom...

But to the point of this thread, take the bow, you and your team have earned it.

Thank-you.

=========

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2022, 11:44:10 pm »

...An IBM employee said it...

To explain, in my recollection, the IBM employee was in the renegade Boca Raton division of IBM.   I  had admired him because of his non-IBM-ish comments on the message boards.

This was back when personal computers were rare within corporations.  Looking back to that time, the 5MHz clock frequency of the CPU (not to mention the 8 bits of data width) seems almost like an alien world.....
=========

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2022, 12:40:28 am »

Thanks again!

Here's an IBM page on the team that gave birth to the PC:

https://www.ibm.com/ibm/history/ibm100/us/en/icons/personalcomputer/team/

One of my first (of many) mistakes in the software business was not buying a PC when they first appeared.  I bought an Osborne because it was cheaper.

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2022, 01:20:55 pm »

... not buying a PC when they first appeared. ...

I had an IMSAI 8080 since the late 70's, so I was not in a rush to get an IBM PC when they first came out.

Eventually, I bought an IBM PC XT, with a huge 10MB hard drive, I also opted to spring for 256KB of memory.   :D

=========

avid

• World Citizen
  • MC user since 2003
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2022, 12:36:27 pm »

I would like to echo these sentiments. I am not active at all on the forum, because this software just works and continues to get better. So I actually have little need to interact here! MC has been an integral part of my home entertainment system for 19+ years now. And back then I had amazing support from JimH. So thank you for getting it so right and for the continued support (and backward compatibility!!)

samtheman57

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2022, 07:45:57 am »

I have sung the praises of MC for years to anyone who would listen and I fully concur with everything expressed by antenna.

I do writing on Substack, and I did a write-up where I mentioned MC as a vital/must-have component in my year-long journey to build a High Fidelity audio system on my Windows-based computer.

Just for the compatibility for plug-ins utilizing DSP Studio, I'm amazed.

I appreciate Cloudplay and contributors every single day, it's like hearing the exotic sounds when I was a young teenager when formatless FM radio ruled if only briefly.

Anyway, amazing work.

Link to article:

https://sputnik57.substack.com/p/how-to-turn-your-windows-based-computer

Pages: [1]   Go Up