INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: All files are MediaJukebox.File  (Read 2000 times)

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
All files are MediaJukebox.File
« on: March 10, 2003, 07:20:50 am »

Hi. Using Explorer, all music files are listed as MediaJukebox.File in the file types column. In other words, I cannot tell .wav files from .mp3 files. Any suggestions?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: All files are MediaJukebox.File
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2003, 07:47:12 am »

Hi. Using Explorer, all music files are listed as MediaJukebox.File in the file types column. In other words, I cannot tell .wav files from .mp3 files. Any suggestions?

windows has an option to not hide the file extender, by default this is "Hidden" don't ask me why, sounds dumb to me, but you can turn it on.

you can do it thre the windows Explorer settings, folder options, then the view tab
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

nila

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2003, 07:55:47 am »

Nice Post :)
We've been asking for this for a while to have explorer be a little more uniquely and helpfully configured for file types etc :)

New people asking = more likely to happen :)

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2003, 08:08:13 am »

windows has an option to not hide the file extender, by default this is "Hidden" don't ask me why, sounds dumb to me, but you can turn it on.

you can do it thre the windows Explorer settings, folder options, then the view tab

Thanks. This seems to add the .mp3 extension in the names column, but it still appears as MediaJukebox.File in the file type column, which is where I would like to tell between the different file types. IFAICR, this would not be case while I was still using MusicMatch . . . ?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2003, 08:28:28 am »

if you go to the next tab "File Types", you can find the extender and, click on advanced and edit the description Ie "MediaJukebox.File"  

Maybe tis should be addressed by J river. It don't bother me but i can understand what your talking about.

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

rocketsauce

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2003, 10:04:19 am »

You can edit the file type name, but most likely MC will change it back next time it starts.

This is common behaviour for many programs. Winamp does it...all audio files get named Winamp Media File or something like that.

The easiest way I've found around it is to go in to MC file association options and disassociate all file types. Then go to Windows Explorer, find a file that is one of the types you want to associate with MC, select it, hold down the shift key, right-click on it and choose Open with and choose MC from the list of programs, make sure Always use this program... is checked. Then in Win Explorer you can use View/Folder Options/File Types to name the file type anything you want. You can also set a different icon for each file type if you want.

BTW, this is for Win98SE. It might be a little different in XP/2000.

Rob

nila

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2003, 11:15:05 pm »

Yeah, in XP there's already a right click menu item to let you open the file with any program of your choice.
It's a LOT easier than the old holding down shift trick.

Still - all this should be addressed by MJ - people shouldn't have to be digging into the advanced tab of explorer and doing all kinds of things to get it to be logical.

iCamp

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2003, 07:08:09 am »

Still - all this should be addressed by MJ - people shouldn't have to be digging into the advanced tab of explorer and doing all kinds of things to get it to be logical.

I agree.  This needs to be "fixed".
Could they just assign multiple icons based upon the file type?  MP3's would have one MC icon while .jpg would have another?

forresto

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2003, 09:08:57 am »

I agree.  This needs to be "fixed".
Could they just assign multiple icons based upon the file type?  MP3's would have one MC icon while .jpg would have another?

This seems like the bast way to do it. The best programs always have clearly labeled, distinct icons when they take over multiple file types.

Marty3d

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2003, 03:44:45 am »

Once again; Take a look at how ACDSee have done it...a fine example!

MachineHead

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2003, 01:49:00 pm »

I've been pestering Matt about this for a while now. Not in this version will you see a change. But, if you want to check out how it should look in the next version, find dbpoweramp and download AccurateRip. For music files this is thee cats meow.

When you hover over a file in Explorer you get just about every piece of info in the tags. If MC were to go this route it would probably tackle image files as well. Check it out, it is very useful when digging around in your music files in Explorer.

nila

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2003, 10:54:27 pm »

Machine - when you say not in this version do you mean not in v9 or not in the builds right now?

I'm hoping this is going to be fixed by v9.

I'm just thinking because as soon as it's released - all the computer magazines and sites are going to test it and review it. Anything obvious like this they'll pick up on and knock down MJ's rating for.
It'd seem really silly to have put this much effort into the latest build and then have let it's ratings get slashed purely because it's file association method isn't too clear.

Is it that complex to change the file type description between file types and to use 4 different icons (images/audio/video/playlist) ?

MachineHead

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2003, 11:56:57 pm »

Nila,

Read beta thread 126.

nila

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2003, 01:18:23 am »

K :)
Missed readin that one cause I've been gettin a lot of internet problems recently. Dont get to stay on for long enough to look around much.

nila

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2003, 01:27:52 am »

Hmm - I read that one, it talks about displaying the file info in explorer - this seems like a lot more than just having different icons for different file types - I can see why this would have to wait.

File type descriptions and icons still can be changed for v9 though I'd imagine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up