INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CPU Cores Vs. Clock Speed Vs. Cache?  (Read 2246 times)

jctcom

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
CPU Cores Vs. Clock Speed Vs. Cache?
« on: June 03, 2022, 12:03:45 am »

Hi all.  I am looking at upgrading my CPU on my X99 motherboard.  In looking at the options they can go up to 14 cores (Way out of my budget though) or the higher clock speeds of up to about 3.7Ghz.  Then there is cache.  Currently a lowly 15MB but can go up to 55MB on a new CPU.  To get both higher Cores and Higher Clock Speed / Cache blows the budget out of the water.  I use this system mostly as an HTPC watching 4K movies and even more listening to high bandwidth audio all of which are pulled over the network from my Synology NAS, All of which are done with JRiver MC.
So the question is since I can't afford both the most cores and the highest clock speed / Cache,  which is JRiver going to take more advantage of?  More Cores?  Or higher Clock Speed.  How Much Cache s best?

Thanks.

Additional specs:  ROG Strix X99 Motherboard, Kingston 8 X 8GB HyperX Ram (3000mHz I believe), Samsung 950 M.2 for main drive and a GTX 970 Graphics card.  Wired Gigabit Ethernet.

Carl.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: CPU Cores Vs. Clock Speed Vs. Cache?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2022, 01:12:32 am »

I'd just upgrade the GPU if you are interested in Video as it will allow higher quality settings in JRVR and better HW Accelerated decoding. 
JRiver CEO Elect

jctcom

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2022, 01:59:22 am »

I think most GPU's with enough of an improvement over my GTX 970 are going to be very expensive.  I can get an i7-6950X for a couple of hundred $  GPU will be much more I think.

Carl.

sla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2022, 09:04:55 am »

But seriously why do you need to upgrade?

is your current setup sluggish on movies etc? or too high load on CPU?
JRiver on Silent/Fanless STREACOM FC5 EVO -> DSD through Firewire on Mytek 192 DSD -> CODA 05r pre/CODA 10.5 amp -> Sonics Amerigo Speakers

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2022, 10:48:23 am »

GTX 970 doesn't have HW decoding for h265 (4k movies). So upgrading that for even a bit more newer card should ease up CPU load significally.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_NVDEC

jctcom

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2022, 11:23:35 am »

But seriously why do you need to upgrade?

is your current setup sluggish on movies etc? or too high load on CPU?

If I am listening to Music and Processing / Converting new music at the same time it bogs down the system and the music I am listening to will pause and or stutter.  Current CPU has only 28 Lanes.  Thought a 40 Lane CPU might help.  But it also might be a network load issue since all my data resides on my NAS. not sure.  Will see what happens when I put everything on the replacement motherboard tonight.

I am listening to and processing lots of high res music these days.  DSD64 or DSD128.  Or FLAC 192 - 384mHz.  If I am doing any converting from SACD ISO to DSD and listening at the same time that is when it bogs down.

Carl.
Pages: [1]   Go Up