INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playback Gapless for DSD files over UPnP/DLNA  (Read 636 times)

swcng2001

• Recent member
Playback Gapless for DSD files over UPnP/DLNA
« on: June 05, 2022, 08:21:19 am »

Hello everyone,

I posted this exact question on the MC 28 forum and never received any response. Either I am the only person who has come across the problem or no one actually cares about it. I upgraded to MC 29 and the problem persists.

I'm looking for help on setting up JRiver MC to allow gapless playback with the SOtM sMS-200ultra.

I'm not sure if its a problem with MC or with my setup. If anyone has some experience with this, please let me know.

My system consists of a Mac mini with the JRiver app, SOtM sMS-200ultra renderer, SOtM txUSBultra reclocker, Ayon Stealth DAC. I have setup the SOtM as an MPD/DLNA renderer. I do not have any issue playing gapless FLAC (PCM) files like Pink Floyd Dark Side of The Moon. However, I have tried everything and it does not work with DSD files. No matter what the buffer settings are on the SOtM, there will always be a short gap between tracks. It destroys the continuity of the album.

The interesting this is that I kept the same config on the SOtM but used Audirvana and gapless DSD files played correctly. This is also the case with Roon, though Roon is not an UPnP/DLNA complaint app. Based on these experiments it seems the problem lies with MC.

Thanks.

Stephen

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Playback Gapless for DSD files over UPnP/DLNA
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2022, 09:19:03 am »

On the renderer, try toggling SetNextAVTransport.

Use google to search for jriver dlna gapless.  You should find a lot of information.

Example:  https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=123410.0

The bottom line is that JRiver supports it, but the renderer may not.

swcng2001

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2022, 04:41:12 pm »

Jim,
Thanks. I have tried everything that's been suggested in the forums. Before you ask me to run AndrewFG's analyser, I can't as I use a Mac and have absolutely no access to Windows.
The thing that gets me is it works on PCM and not DSD. I know the DSD files are encoded correctly since they play on Audirvana and Roon.
I firmly believe there is an issue with JRiver itself playing DSD which seems to have been missed by the developers.
Stephen

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2022, 09:38:31 am »

Jim,
Thanks. I have tried everything that's been suggested in the forums. Before you ask me to run AndrewFG's analyser, I can't as I use a Mac and have absolutely no access to Windows.
The thing that gets me is it works on PCM and not DSD. I know the DSD files are encoded correctly since they play on Audirvana and Roon.
I firmly believe there is an issue with JRiver itself playing DSD which seems to have been missed by the developers.
Stephen
What are your DLNA server settings?
Does the device play native DSD??
Pages: [1]   Go Up