INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cloning library and copying files?  (Read 681 times)

joetiii

• World Citizen
Cloning library and copying files?
« on: June 05, 2022, 10:03:42 pm »

I will be staying for 2 months at a place with no wifi and want to bring some of my music. I have my pc library and music files residing on my NAS and am hoping I can clone the library and then copy the music files over to a portable hard drive that connects to my laptop via USB. I created the new library on the drive and then used jriver library tool to copy it over. After copying a few files, I noticed that my main library was showing duplicates of these files. One with nas location and one with portable hard drive location. I stopped copying after these files as I do not want all these dupes showing in main. What am I doing wrong?

Or is there a better way to bring my music to play through jriver?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Cloning library and copying files?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 01:09:05 am »

Set up autoimport.  You can copy to a location that you've excluded.   Edit any location to exclude it.

If you don't need the entire library, it's easier to right click in MC on what you do want and choose Download.

joetiii

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2022, 09:37:38 am »

Set up autoimport.  You can copy to a location that you've excluded.   Edit any location to exclude it.

If you don't need the entire library, it's easier to right click in MC on what you do want and choose Download.

Not sure I can figure out the first part of the statement, but I think I should be right clicking the files I want to add to the portable drive, down load them and then run auto import into the new library. Sound about right?

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2022, 10:08:41 am »

Rather than creating a new empty library and using auto import. you could simply copy your music files to the usb drive with Windows Explorer. Then create a MC library backup and copy that to the usb drive. Then do a restore of the library on the new system.  The new system will have different file paths that need to be changed. You can do that with the Rename, Move and Copy library tool. Just change the filepath from the one from the NAS to the usb drive path.  That process will keep any customizations you have made in your original library plus it will maintain any tags that are not stored in the files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up