INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center resolution very low  (Read 781 times)

dazdaz

• Recent member
Media Center resolution very low
« on: June 06, 2022, 02:34:57 pm »

The resolution of the Media Center center does not appear correct. Let me try to describe it.
It reminds me of watching a NTSC film on a PAL display.
If I were to do a screengrab then you'd not notice any difference.
However viewing the application itself, actually hurts my eyes.
I've never come across this issue before with any apps run on a mac.

When I look at some of the settings under Options / Video I can see some PAL and NTSC flags, however I cannot toggle these.

Really appreciate any tips, I love this app the more that I learn about it and want to continue using it.

Specs : Media Center 29 on macOS 12.4, on a 14inch display with a M1 MAX processor.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Media Center resolution very low
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 04:37:36 pm »

I think you are describing a problem with motion.  Like with video or with moving things around (scrolling) in the MC window.  Is that correct?

If that's not correct, can you describe where you see the issue and what it looks like? 

Brian.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2022, 12:06:47 am »

It sounds to me like Retina mode is not activated. Check the menu under View -> Size
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

dazdaz

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2022, 12:59:24 am »

Retina mode is activated.

>I think you are describing a problem with motion.  Like with video or with moving things around (scrolling) in the MC window.  Is that correct?
>If that's not correct, can you describe where you see the issue and what it looks like?

It's a little difficult to describe but to my eyes it feels like looking at an old fashioned TV, rather than a laptop display.

The issue is not when scrolling around, but when opening the application on my 14" display, and looking at anything inside of the application.
It's as if the screen refresh rate is not the same as that of the other applications, my eyes feel dizzy just looking at the application.
Hope that my explanation is clearer, this is not easy to describe.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2022, 01:49:44 am »

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2022, 05:45:31 am »

It's a little difficult to describe but to my eyes it feels like looking at an old fashioned TV, rather than a laptop display.

The issue is not when scrolling around, but when opening the application on my 14" display, and looking at anything inside of the application.
It's as if the screen refresh rate is not the same as that of the other applications, my eyes feel dizzy just looking at the application.
Hope that my explanation is clearer, this is not easy to describe.

I've been doing this a very long time.  I know what bad interlaced video (old TV) looks like.  Also low refresh rates.  I've diagnosed dozens of low refresh rate monitors over the years and surprised the owners that it could look better with a higher refresh rate (frame rate).  My current monitor is set to a 120Hz refresh rate.  It is rock solid with everything including MC.

So, I think I know the "look" you are describing, but I kind of doubt it's really due to a low refresh rate.  MC has to use the native refresh rate of whatever monitor it is connected to.  It does not have any other option.

Maybe there's something about the skin you are using that makes it look odd?  I would suggest that you give some other skins a try.  Maybe Black On Black or Purity.

I wish I could say something more helpful, but it's a bit hard to diagnose when I can't see it and you indicate that a screen capture won't show your issue so... I'm not sure how to help further.

Good luck to you.

Brian.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2022, 11:54:45 am »

On my M1 Mini with DELL S3221QS Display 32" display it's as sharp as a tack.
I did notice that on the default skin, toggling that Retina flag really makes a difference.
Perhaps check the font?
I agree on trying a different skin too.
My favorites are here:
https://yabb.jriver.com/mediacenter/accessories.php (you can also go there from inside MC: View->Skin->Skin download page)
Download them and run them and they will auto-install.
Dream in Blue
 and
Black and Blue
are sweet.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2022, 01:01:09 pm »

I'll second Dream In Blue and Blue and Blue Too (HC)(SB).  Those are my two longest used skins.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up