INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First look and missing features  (Read 803 times)

mxp

First look and missing features
« on: June 14, 2022, 02:00:51 pm »

Hi,

For some time I'm searching for an app, able to present me my music library in two ways:
* tag-wise (albums, artists, etc)
* folder-wise

and then I found JRiver (macOS) and I was happy - music-wise all perfect, until I've seen the price...
Then I thought - ok, it offers much more, let's test it. I've started with movie playback and I've come across multiple issues:

Issue #1: Built-in subtitles are trimmed (please check attached file 'jriver_subtitles.png')
Please believe me, I've used default settings. I didn't change anything. I've just wanted to load a movie and watch it with built-in subtitles.

Issue #2: Unsupported subtitles format
This may be tricky, because maybe I come from III world country using very uncommon file format, but I have two types of subtitles, which are very common in my area:

Format one:
Code: [Select]
{1471}{1550}LOS ANGELES, ROK 2029
{1855}{1970}Życie trzech miliardów ludzi|skończyło się 29 sierpnia, 1997 roku.
{1975}{2100}Ci, którzy przetrwali|nazwali ten dzień "Dniem Sądu."
First number is a start frame number, the latter is the end frame number, between which the subtitle should be shown.

Format two:
Code: [Select]
00:00:19,060 --> 00:00:21,728
<i>Był czas pośród gwiazd.</i>

00:00:21,896 --> 00:00:24,272
<i>Dawny czas.</i>
In this case, the first number is just an index incremented with every subtitle. Then the start-end time of displaying the subtitle.

My question at that point would be: are you planning to implement this format of subtitles? If yes, then when?

Issue #3: Default volume notification overridden.
I've noticed, that when JRiver is running, I no longer see a default volume notification (see attached volume_control.png).
I've tried to set JRiver to use internal volume or system volume or none - nothing helped. It just happily overrides the default volume notification... why?

Issue #4: Peculiar OSD during movies playback.
On MacOS I have to go with a mouse to the top of the screen, to get OSD. That's ok.
But when I click the new position on the movie's progress bar, then OSD disappears and another pops up at the bottom, which is not interactive at all.
Normally, such OSD (top one) stays visible till the mouse is in the area, so if someone wants to scroll through the movie - he can do that. In case of JRiver, it is not possible.
Also what is annoying: after clicking the top OSD to go to the new position, the bottom OSD shows up and the top OSD will not show till the bottom one disappears... again... why?

That's all what my 15-minutes encounter shown with movies playback and I've stopped there.
I'm really curious if there are any plans to improve the experience in that area (and when), or are the all mentioned issues just by design.

And please do not understand me wrong - I like the app. I wanted to buy it - after using only the music functionality. But then I've checked the movies section, then I've got my second thoughts :(

Kind regards,
Max.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver: first look and missing features or quality
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 02:25:38 pm »

1)
Looks like the font is not reporting their size properly. I've not heard reports of that before, but I'll see about some testing.

2)
I don't recognize the first format at all, and frame numbers are not very easily usable, so unless I can find a proper reference to that format, its not very likely.
The second format is called SRT or SubRip, and should already be supported if you name your file .srt

3)
This would be a question for bob, but we generally suppress OS level functions in favor of our own.

4)
The OSD at the bottom of the screen is intended as a status display as well as designed to interact with a remote control or the arrow keys.
The navigaiton window at the top disappearing was a bug for a while but I believe it should've been fixed. Which version are you using exactly?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mxp

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2022, 03:05:12 pm »

Super fast response - thank you :)

Answering the points:

(1): I really just installed it and start playing a movie with embedded subtitles (mkv). I did not do anything with the settings.

(2): I have changed the subtitles file of the second format to "srt" and they have shown up. The question is: do you really want to have this experience for the user, to search for the proper extension of their subtile file?
Nevertheless, the subtitles are heavily shifted in time and do not match original time (mpv player shows the subtitles perfectly no matter what extension is given)
We could talk privately about ways of reproducing the issue, if you are interested.

(3): I understand the approach and I could live with it. But here is the question: Spotify and Apple Music show a default volume notification. So maybe it would be worth to be consistent with the experience (especially for macOs users ;)  )

(4): I'm using 29.0.38 (Silicon). It is a trial version.

Once again thanks for the very fast response.

BR,
Max.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2022, 04:11:33 pm »

#4:  The navigation issue with the top screen area is fixed in 29.0.50 .  Download that at the top of this forum and install it.  The bottom OSD is still there; for me it doesn't provide much functionality.  You can disable that bottom OSD if you'd like:

Tools > Options > Tree & View > Advanced > Enable OSD > (uncheck)

#3:  I'm not sure what you are expecting.  When I press the Mac volume buttons on the keyboard I get the on screen display over the top of MC while playing video.  What are you doing and what do you expect to happen?

MC is different than other players.  It's a far more mature library manager than anything else that I'm aware of.  But it works differently.  It probably isn't as mature as a video platform as some others.  Your example of subtitle support is a good example. 

MC's video and audio quality are very good; class leading in fact.  In my opinion, even if you use another video player, MC is still worth having for it's library management functions.  Are you aware that MC can launch other players?  You can configure a "send to > external" program and it becomes an option for you to open your media with that external program when you want to.  Depending upon your use case, this might be a good option to explore.

Brian.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
Re: First look and missing features
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2022, 04:33:08 pm »

2)
I don't recognize the first format at all, and frame numbers are not very easily usable, so unless I can find a proper reference to that format, its not very likely.
First format is MicroDVD (.sub)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MicroDVD

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2022, 12:08:37 pm »

First format is MicroDVD (.sub)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MicroDVD

Right, its not common anymore these days, not heard that in a long time. But we actually support MicroDVD, if you name your subtitle file .sub

And yes, in general file extensions are important, especially for subtitles, there is not necessarily any guaranteed way to identify it otherwise. So .srt for SubRip subtitles, .sub for MicroDVD, and they should both work if they are timed properly.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mxp

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2022, 12:12:39 pm »

Thanks for the all responses.

I have updated to the newest version and I will keep playing around on all my main systems (macOS, Linux Mint).
I will try all the suggestions given here.

In few weeks you will hear from me again  ;)

Kind regards,
Max.
Pages: [1]   Go Up