INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Book library  (Read 518 times)

andromaya

• Recent member
Book library
« on: June 19, 2022, 05:16:37 am »

A thought just occurred to me.

I have a collection of ePub and pdf books on my system, yet organising them in the traditional sense (file-by-file), just like with any other medium, is a pain in the bum many will recognise. Apple Books doesn't really offer an organising functionality as thorough as the one you would find in their music application or in MC. The possibility to easily access file information and edit in batches is not to be found in Books. One needs to resort to other applications in order to do that, yet they also have their downsides, especially when it comes to the reading part. Apple Books remains the cleanest (free) book application on the market. What really bothers me in particular about Books is that I cannot select all books by one author--say Shakespeare--and change author for all files. In order to have the library alphabetically organised, you would have to manually change author name to the format "surname, first name" (btw, can you tell MC to organise audio files by artist surname?)

Because I have been organising my music library with the greatest ease thanks to solutions like MC--especially MC--for years, I've grown accustomed to the diamond treatment. Manually having to organise hundreds or thousands of files is a pain many OCD-ish collectors like me have had to deal with at some point, and while the greatest pains have been killed (the best thing about MC for me is the possibility to change album art in batches with online input; no more copy-pasting!!), there still remain some minor aches.

Wouldn't it be great if MC offered book support? A book library in the vein of the music library MC offers; the possibility to sort books either by title, author (first or surname) or publication date. Not having to manually change author for each and every file in order to have them appear in order. MC-level organisation brought to ePub. Audio, video and literature integrated in one single application. That definitely would make me consider upgrading again. Worth a shot? :-*

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Book library
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2022, 05:41:53 am »

There are some book capabilities built in to MC.  Start here: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Books

There is a media sub-type tag.

Books are considered documents in MC.  You may need to turn on document support and import a few.

andromaya

• Recent member
Re: Book library
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2022, 02:09:17 pm »

There are some book capabilities built in to MC.  Start here: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Books

There is a media sub-type tag.

Books are considered documents in MC.  You may need to turn on document support and import a few.

That's amazing and exciting. Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up