INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: empty library when network disk not mapped before opening jriver ...  (Read 518 times)

kdwykleingeld

• World Citizen

Hi, i have a large library of 850GB music stored on a network share.

I noticed that when the network share is not connected i only see an empty library ?   And after i map the network drive again it starts filling the library again (searching for files ..) which takes some time ...

How can i prevent jriver from not emptying my library whyan the network share is not there (yet) ..

i am on latest windows version

thx koen

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: empty library when network disk not mapped before opening jriver ...
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2022, 07:28:46 am »

MC has an option called Fix Broken Links.  Turn it off.

The options page has a search window.

kdwykleingeld

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2022, 07:44:13 am »

Hi Jim,  only in Tools>Import with 'Configure Auto Import" i see that option Fix Broken Links with    No, Yes, Yes (protect files on missing drives) ...

So you mean setting this to "No"   -- so what does protect files on missing drives mean ? 

Or do you refer to an other option somewhere ?

It sounds strange to me that i must change it in the Tools>Import tab .. ?

thx koen

kdwykleingeld

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2022, 07:45:30 am »

Also see that i run 'Auto import in background" .... is that (icw the missing link option) what causes my issue ?

kdwykleingeld

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2022, 07:48:49 am »

and whats best way to refer to network share : 

m:\bla\bla      (so this requires the disk with music to be mapped as drive m:)

OR

\\192.168.x.x\bla\bla

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2022, 08:24:33 am »

1.  Yes, "fix broken links" in the auto import section is the place to change this behavior.  I recommend setting it to "No", but others might say that "protect files on missing drives" is better.
2.  As you have noticed, it's the act of running auto import that causes MC to remove these files.  As I recall, MC runs auto import on startup, and then monitors the disk for changes.  When it sees changes, it runs it again.  But, if it can't see changes, then it just runs auto import every 1 or 2 hours (I can't remember the timing).  If you turn off "run auto import in the background", it should never run unless you explicitly tell it it.  This is what I do as it gives me full control.  I made this decision after over a year of running "auto import in background".
3.  I don't use a NAS.  But I'll give you my answer to your "best way to refer to network share" question.  In my opinion the best way is with a drive letter.  This gives you the flexibility to change the NAS IP address, the NAS path, etc. behind the scenes.  As long as your drive mapping gets you to the correct place, MC doesn't need to know about any of these changes.  For me, this is much easier than changing the IP and path any time there's a major NAS change.

Brian.

kdwykleingeld

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2022, 08:37:07 am »

hi thx, yes changed accordingly! No auto import, no link fixing and still using a drive letter

thx koen
Pages: [1]   Go Up