INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video covers thumbnails in portrait mode  (Read 659 times)

rogueblue

• World Citizen
Video covers thumbnails in portrait mode
« on: July 12, 2022, 02:11:30 am »

Why are some Video covers thumbnails in portrait mode when the videos are landscape like all others?

Bob007

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Video covers thumbnails in portrait mode
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 04:58:22 pm »

Coincidently, I have/had this exact same question today - your post turned up in a search.

Happy to be corrected on this but it seems that the Media Sub Type tag controls thumbnail behaviour. 

For me, if this is set to TV Show, the thumbnails are shown in Landscape; if it's set to Movie, then they're shown in Portrait.

rogueblue

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2022, 01:04:15 am »

But then would that apply to all other video thumbnails added in the same group and time?
All these vieos were imported the same time and location, just the 2 should portrait

PS ... I just checked ... even the protrait videos have "video" as their media subtype tag

Bob007

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2022, 05:55:44 am »

So I couldn't find an answer through searching so it would need someone with a degree expertise to confirm but the behaviour I posted was consistent and fixing the Media Sub Type sorted it for me.  My videos were also a bulk import so I assume the tag is held in the file's metadata and not set by JRiver given it varies across files.

PS ... I just checked ... even the protrait videos have "video" as their media subtype tag

Just to clarify, Video is the Media Type not the Media Sub Type.  The screenshots below show the thumbnail change for the same file based on changing this tag only.

JRiver-Landscape" border="0

JRiver-Portrait" border="0

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2022, 07:39:12 am »

You could try this here, in addition to the sub-type harmonization:

Tools --> Options --> Tree & View --> Thumbnails --> (deactivate) Standardize aspect ratios (https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,130316.msg903956.html#msg903956)

Maybe it works in this case too.
END OF LINE.

rogueblue

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2022, 09:24:03 am »

Thanks Bob. You were right about the media sub type. MC auto assigned ... I changed it to reflect no type and now works properly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up