INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to get ASIO happening?  (Read 2541 times)

Zoner

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
How to get ASIO happening?
« on: March 10, 2003, 11:01:23 am »

Like many others here, I have DTS CDs and even if I didn't, I don't want my CD audio messed up by Windows, so I want to use MC9's ASIO support.  I have an M-Audio 1010 sound-card, but right now I'm using the S/PDIF digital out.

So I went into MC9 (one of the most recent builds), and selected "ASIO" as the output mode.  After that, I got no sound at all, though.  Is there something else I have to do to get this working?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How to get ASIO happening?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2003, 11:04:47 am »

Did you try a search for ASIO?  It's been explained before.

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2003, 12:17:53 pm »

So I went into MC9 (one of the most recent builds), and selected "ASIO" as the output mode.  After that, I got no sound at all, though.  Is there something else I have to do to get this working?

The "Details" button of the ASIO mode will help. You probably need to change the "Channel Offset" The usual numbers are even (0, 2, 4, etc.) For example, on my MAudio Dio 24/96, I use offset 2 for my Toslink optical output. I believe the logic is that 0 & 1 are my L & R analog outputs.

For the 1010, you'd probably be up there in the 8 or 10 region for your offset. (I don't remember off the top of my head)

Best,
Brad

Zoner

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2003, 10:35:44 pm »

> Did you try a search for ASIO?  It's been explained before.

I searched this forum (only) and read every post with the word "asio" in it from the last 70 days but found nothing whatsoever explaining how to set it up.  Can you post a link?

Zoner

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2003, 10:37:06 pm »

> You probably need to change the "Channel Offset"

Thanks, I'll play around with it and see if I have any luck.  Will post back here regardless how it goes.

Zoner

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2003, 11:14:37 pm »

OK!  Got it working - FYI the channel offset for the 1010's S/PDIF out is 8.  Wow this is cool - I could have sworn that I heard the difference isntantly, but I'll do some A/B testing later to check it our more thoroughly.

So of course first thing I did was try to listen to one og my (ripped) DTS CDs, but I just got static.  Then I went into DSP studio, unticked replay gain, and it plays fine.

Does this mean I have to go in and untick replay gain every time I want to listen to a DTS CD?  I'm sure I'm not the first to ask, so I will do a search on this and see what I can dig up.

Zoner

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2003, 11:25:31 pm »

> I'm sure I'm not the first to ask

Then again, a search of last 70 days turned up nothing, so maybe I am!

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2003, 07:37:15 am »

Does this mean I have to go in and untick replay gain every time I want to listen to a DTS CD?  I'm sure I'm not the first to ask, so I will do a search on this and see what I can dig up.

Please do a follow-up here--I would not be surprised to learn that the DSP effects mangle a DTS bitstream. The DTS CD format is very unforgiving when it comes to messing with it--that's why it's such a good test for a working ASIO implementation.

Best,
Brad

Zoner

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2003, 07:52:01 am »

Yes, definitely - the bitstream has to pass through exactly, which means no DSP whatsoever.  So the only way this can work is if J River's Replay Gain algorithm could sense a DTS bitstream (simple enough I would think) and temporarily disable RG in that case.  The question is - has J River implemented that feature?  If so it doesn't appear to work in the build I'm running.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2003, 01:36:15 pm »

I need advice for getting ASIO working pop free on an SB Live using the kX Prject drivers.  Have tried all channel offsets, none remove the popup and most fuss with either the speaker channel config or the effects settings...  Anyone got it to work pop free on a Live and can tell me the correct settings..

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

ChicoSelfs

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2003, 01:47:45 pm »

Well i have Kx drivers with a Soundblaster 5.1 Model SB0060 and i use Channel ( 0 ) and no click/pop here in the first 4/5 songs the i hear a click @ the beginning of the track, changing the channel to ( 2 ) it's stops until the next 4/5 songs, then i have to change the channel again
Made in Portugal

NoCodeUK

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2003, 02:04:29 pm »

Pretty much the same as me except I seem to get it at the beginning then not on coresponding songs...to be honest I cannot hear that much difference between ASIO and DS anyway.  Guess the SB just aint gonna support it properly... Ne'er mind!!

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

ChicoSelfs

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2003, 02:17:30 pm »

Ya, maybe with the release of the new drivers version, many users have problems with ASIO with this build. But this Drivers rock's
Made in Portugal

NoCodeUK

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2003, 02:58:45 pm »

Oh I'll definitely keep the drivers...the Creative **

Adam
Pages: [1]   Go Up