INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playback problems--High bit characters and Silence  (Read 949 times)

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Playback problems--High bit characters and Silence
« on: March 09, 2003, 03:49:33 pm »

One thing the built-in smartlists have enabled me to do is track down problematic files in my 8000+ audio library. While doing the "analyze audio" thing on my files over the past week, I hit several files that cause MC problems (build 123):

1) "Blank" tracks don't play nice with MC. A common example of these are the ~20 blank tracks on Dave Matthews Band "Under the Table & Dreaming". MC just hangs on these tracks. There are also some similar tracks on a couple of jazz albums I have.

2) Tracks with high-ASCII characters are also causing problems. I have a couple of albums with French titles and track names (and the appropriate accent marks). None of these tracks play for me.

In both cases, the status display either shows "Waiting" or "Buffering". Sometimes I'll get the error that "MC cannot play any of the files in the playlist...check to make sure you aren't filtering them". A couple of times, the program just quit without any error message at all & a couple of times it "Generated Errors" so "Windows had to close the program."

Any ideas? Let me know if you need more information...

Best,
Brad

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Playback problems--High bit characters and Sil
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2003, 06:28:49 am »

2) Tracks with high-ASCII characters are also causing problems. I have a couple of albums with French titles and track names (and the appropriate accent marks). None of these tracks play for me.

If you remove them from the library and then reimport, do they work?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2003, 07:43:34 am »

If you remove them from the library and then reimport, do they work?

Nope. That was the first thing I tried. Then I remembered they were APL files, so I tried recreating the APLs and importing the new APLs. No dice there either.

2 other strange things:

1) The original APE file plays fine. (Using "Open Media File...")

2) When using File->Open Media File..., the directory containing all the high-ASCII characters didn't show a horizontal scrollbar.

Quite a mystery....
Brad

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2003, 12:27:03 pm »

SOLVED--problem with the high-ASCII characters

There's an issue with APLs where they don't like to point/be generated from a master APE with accented characters. To work around:

1) Renamed the APE file so I had no "special" characters in the filename.
2) Modified the CUE sheet to point at the renamed APE
3) Regenerated the APLs
4) Imported the APLs into MC.

Everything works a treat now. Let me know if I can help track down if it's a but in MC with APLs or if it's a problem with the APL generator. I don't remember if I had this problem in MJ8.

FWIW, the titles of the APLs still have accented characters in them & they arent' causing any trouble (yet).

Still no progress on the "silent track" issues...

Brad
Pages: [1]   Go Up