INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Copy Separate Cover Art jpgs with Music Files  (Read 392 times)

rlsten

How to Copy Separate Cover Art jpgs with Music Files
« on: July 18, 2022, 12:58:45 pm »

Although I am using MC27, I think this issue is still relevant to MC29.

I have a very large music collection consisting of 1000's of albums. I recently added a tag for Favorites and marked about 500 album titles. I wanted to copy those favorites to a MicroSD card to use on a portable device (a Raspberry Pi with an external DAC controlled by an ArchLinux-based software called rAudio (a successor to Rune Audio)). Using Rename, Move and Copy Files I was able to copy all the music files with the proper directory structure to the MicroSD card. However, the cover art jpgs I had in the same folder as the music files were not copied.

Now this shouldn't have been a problem, because I thought that my JRiver-catologed files had the cover art imbedded in the file as a tag, and wasn't reading the cover.jpg files in the folder each time I viewed an album in JRiver, but I am not sure this is happening.

Why this matters is that the portable player software I use is supposed to display either embedded cover art or a separate file labeled as cover.jpg in the same folder as the music files. But since the rAudio software is constantly under development, I'm not sure if it recognizes embedded cover art like it should--I know that it displays the cover.jpg files properly.

I see that the Rename, Move, or Copy Files function has an option to "Move all non-imported files in folder with selected media files" when renaming or moving files, but this option is not available when Copying files.

Is there a way to enable this option for copying files? If so, would it move the cover.jpg files in the same folder as the music files I want to copy? And finally, how can I tell that cover art displayed in Media Center has been embedded in a music file and is not a separate file.

Thanks very much for your help!
Rod

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to Copy Separate Cover Art jpgs with Music Files
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2022, 08:52:22 am »

I have recreated your scenario and was surprised to find that the option "copy sidecar files" did NOT copy the image JPEG files at all!  I really expected that it would.  As you said, the other option to "move all files in directory" is greyed out in COPY mode and can not be used.

So I decided to try Handheld Sync instead.  I defined a new handheld.  In my case I just specified a directory on disk.  Then I created a new static playlist with a few albums in it.  I intentionally selected some albums that had Cover Art files in the directory and some WITHOUT any JPEG files.

When I did my sync, it only copied the music files.  No JPEGS at all.  I then looked at the handheld sync options and found an option "Save Cover Art to Folder.jpg".  I checked that and tried to resync, but it complained that it was already synced.  So I deleted all of the previously synced files and tried again.

This time it synced all the music files *and* created a Folder.jpg in each album folder that it synced.  Even those where there was no JPEG file at all.  MC pulled the cover art out of the embedded cover art in the music files and created Folder.jpg .  Nice!

So, handheld sync apparently will do nearly exactly what you want.  Give it a try!

Create a playlist with some albums you want copied/synced.
Tools > Options > Handheld > Add Device > (set options and folder location and playlist to sync)
Then Action Window > Sync handheld

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Sync_Handheld

Good luck!

rlsten

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2022, 12:02:49 pm »

It worked perfectly!! Thanks very much!!!

Rod

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2022, 04:34:29 pm »

Awesome.  Glad to hear it worked for you.  :)

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up