INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CD - Just How Bad?  (Read 1406 times)

krgoodwin

• Recent member
CD - Just How Bad?
« on: July 27, 2022, 10:26:18 pm »

I feel guilty digitizing all my CD's on a workstation device; specifically, an HP 9.5mm DVD-ROM Optical Disc Drive that cost $31.00 in the build.  I can't see much means to improve this except possibly an external CD transport.  Posts on this blog regarding the subject CD seem to be circa 2002 which must tell me something.  Should I sleep at night with such an audio source feeding a HiFi system costing more than 2 orders of magnitude more than the reader/writer?  I do use JRM for AIFF encoding of the CD's.  Ken, Houston, Texas

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: CD - Just How Bad?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 04:49:00 pm »

You're all good.  It's just reading the 0s & 1s.  If you are worried make sure "Secure Rip" rather than "Normal" is selected in the MC options for that drive.
JRiver CEO Elect

krgoodwin

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2022, 09:49:26 am »

Thanks for the suggestion of which I was not cognizant.  I couldn't think of much that could go wrong just reading the digital content of a CD.  I think people discuss jitter which is possible but at these data rates how much non-linearity in the PC's clock can impact the ripping.  The high-cost CD transports mention mechanical stability but again how much can my breathing impact the ripping.  I would like to see a CD transport that allows the ripped data stream to go directly to my NAS however.

elviejoiner

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2022, 11:57:04 pm »

Will try later, thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up