INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playback issues (skip, total # of tracks, progress bar not working correctly)  (Read 1046 times)

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen

As I recently had decommissioned my HTPC (Zones not working reliably for video...) I wanted to use some of the parts for my ageing office PC (which I also use to listen to music). After reinstalling everything I set up JRiver (Audio Only View), 29.0.80.

I noticed that in the standard view for playback I could no longer display the total number of tracks, neither [Total Tracks] nor [Number Of Tracks] worked, both returned nothing. After some trying I settled with ItemCount(AlbumKey/(/)), but I'm sure I didn't have to do this before. Maybe I'm blind and didn't see the correct field?

So, then I encountered really strange behaviour. Starting playback of an album, I could skip forward through tracks, but only back to the beginning of the current track, not back to another track. (Log file package 1)

Also, I switched on waveform (but the regular progress bar exhibits the same odd behavior). It'll work OK in the beginning of a track, but will mess up towards the end. The blue progress filling will move on towards the end, but will vanish before it reaches the end of the track. (Screenshots)

When clicking elsewhere within the waveform to go back, this seems to be ignored, as it just moves on to the next track. Then, skipping back suddenly works, but the track played before gets skipped completely, and when skipping forward again, it's also skipped. Very odd. So, listening to track 12, progress indicator disappears, clicking somewhere in the progress bar gets ignored, track 13 starts, skipping brings me to track 11, 10, ... and skipping forward brings me to 11, then 13(!), not 12... (Log file package 2)

Thanks for looking into this!
END OF LINE.

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen

Upgraded to 29.0.81, but still the same. Progress bar vanishes several seconds before the next track starts, and the application won't react correctly to skip and other playback controls, until the next track starts.

If playing track x and hit skip forward (or click anywhere in the progress bar etc.) once the progress indicator has vanished this'll be ignored, until track x+1 starts (note: track x will be finished just OK). Clicking skip back repeatedly will first get you back to the start of track x+1, and then immediately to track x-1, skipping over track x. Clicking skip forward in track x-1 will bring you directly to track x+1, again immediately skipping track x.
END OF LINE.

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen

Upgraded to 29.0.83. No change, issues persist.
END OF LINE.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Disable the waveform, just to test.  What are you playing to?  How is it connected?

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen

Disable the waveform, just to test.  What are you playing to?  How is it connected?
Thanks Jim.

I think I had tested with deactivating the waveform, but will verify later.

I'm playing to a Henry Audio USB DAC 128 Mk 3 (https://www.henryaudio.com/), connected directly to the PC via a good 2m cable.
END OF LINE.

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen

Just checked. Disabling waveform doesn't affect it. Also, new logs attached (from 29.0.83).
END OF LINE.

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen

Just upgraded to 29.0.86 and tested again. No change, the issue persists. New logs attached.
END OF LINE.

JimH

• Administrator

Just upgraded to 29.0.86 and tested again. No change, the issue persists. New logs attached.
In another post, you said you're using VMware.  Do you have these problems without it?  Please include that fact when posting.

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen

Hi Jim!

I just mentioned VMware in the other thread as it was an example of an application that couldn't access its default audio option (as that device was not released from exclusive mode because the MC process was still running).

The issues I described here (and in the other thread) are independent of whether or not VMware is running. For most of the time, I even run MC "alone", just listening to music, no other applications running.
END OF LINE.

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen

Upgraded to 29.0.87 a few minutes ago, and no change. The progress bar and skip are still not working correctly.
END OF LINE.

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Playback issues (skip, total # of tracks, progress bar not working correctly)
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2022, 08:48:38 am »

Are you playing to a DLNA device?  Some don't report progress correctly.

Skipping during the transition might produce unexpected results.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Playback issues (skip, total # of tracks, progress bar not working correctly)
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2022, 08:50:06 am »

Keep in mind at the end of a file the program will have advanced internally.  This is so we can support gapless, cross-fade, etc.  This makes some pieces not available until the transition is complete.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2022, 09:01:35 am »

Hi Jim,

No, I'm playing to a DAC, directly connected.

I'm playing to a Henry Audio USB DAC 128 Mk 3 (https://www.henryaudio.com/), connected directly to the PC via a good 2m cable.

Thanks Matt.

However, it is pretty odd, from a user's perspective, that the progress indicator will "vanish" several seconds before the song is actually over (and no other media player I know does that), and that commands like clicking somewhere on the progress bar are just ignored until the next song starts. Also, it is very odd how skipping works. Like I described earlier (and also captured in several log files attached here), when song x has nearly finished, the progress indicator vanishes, and later song x+1 starts. Now, clicking skip backwards, I end up at the start of song x+1 again (that's normal). Clicking skip backwards twice, I expect to get back to song x. However, I'm taken to song x-1 (song x gets skipped completely). Clicking skip forward, I'd expect to get to song x. However, I'm now taken to song x+1 (song x was skipped over again).
END OF LINE.
Pages: [1]   Go Up