INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exclusive Mode Problem  (Read 978 times)

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen
Exclusive Mode Problem
« on: July 29, 2022, 04:08:16 am »

One thing I noticed (not new for 29.0.80) is that my audio device when used in exclusive mode by JRiver won't output any sound after closing JRiver (until I deactivate and reactivate it, or reboot). It's like it's never released from exclusive mode. Anyone else noticed that?
END OF LINE.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Exclusive Mode Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2022, 06:59:23 am »

One thing I noticed (not new for 29.0.80) is that my audio device when used in exclusive mode by JRiver won't output any sound after closing JRiver (until I deactivate and reactivate it, or reboot). It's like it's never released from exclusive mode. Anyone else noticed that?
Try stopping playback with the Stop button.

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2022, 07:11:24 am »

Try stopping playback with the Stop button.
Thanks Jim. That's what I usually do. Tested with stop and just closing the application. No dice. Restarting JRiver and it can continue using the audio device with no issues.
END OF LINE.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2022, 07:17:39 am »

Stop, not Pause.

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2022, 07:26:05 am »

Stop, not Pause.
I'm not sure what you're talking about.

I start JRiver, initiate playback, hit STOP and close it (or just close it). No sounds in Windows from any other application... I restart JRiver, initiate playback again, all works (for JRiver as it's exclusive mode). Hit STOP and close again, still no sounds in Windows from any other application.

Disable the audio device in Windows, and enable again, all works (or reboot). Use any other application without ever starting JRiver, no problems ever.
END OF LINE.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2022, 07:28:40 am »

The Stop button and the Pause button are different.  Thanks to Apple, the Stop button has disappeared in some cases.  Make sure your skin has both buttons.  Try Google if you don't understand.

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2022, 07:32:57 am »

Haha, don't get me started with Apple...

Anyhow, I'm using the default skin, and unless something's changed in the last few decades I associate stop with the "square" button, just like on Hi-Fi equipment etc.
END OF LINE.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2022, 07:37:01 am »

Yes, the Stop button has a square.

So even if you press that button, you can't get sound in other applications?  All applications?

Or do you mean that MC's WDM driver isn't working and you can't get sound from a browser?  In that case, run Media Server on Windows Startup.  It's a small footprint version of MC.

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2022, 07:47:37 am »

What I tried to describe is that when exiting JRiver it happens that the audio device JRiver had used would not output any sound after closing JRiver, until a disable/enable cycle is performed. Then you mentioned stop. I tried that too, and it made no difference (I'd found it quite odd if it had made a difference- closing the application has to hand back control of all devices to the OS, no matter whether I hit stop or not).

I now have been cycling through the start JRiver, play something, stop and/or close it, and check other applications. What I noticed is that in some cases sound is restored after a while. I saw it when testing the Windows system volume slider. Moved it to 50%, no jingle sound, but suddenly it jumped back to 100% and sound was there. I could see that several times now. This may be a Windows issue with process closure. I'll keep an eye on it.
END OF LINE.

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2022, 12:41:32 am »

Just encountered another episode of this. After purchasing the MC 30 upgrade for one of my master licenses I applied the install key (*.mjr) and wanted to check upon the registration info. After starting MC, it complained about itself already running. Checking task manager, I see the MC process under background processes still running, eating more than 30% CPU. There's nothing in event viewer. VMware could not access my default sound device (the DAC), and switched to the monitor's speakers (DisplayPort audio). I manually ended the task, and restarted MC, created the logfile and closed it (everything normal, no residual process running).
END OF LINE.

Grock6

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2022, 12:50:56 pm »

I get this issue too and I think it's just a Windows glitch and has little to do with JRiver since it's happened on my computer with Roon, Audirvana and the Tidal and Amazon and Qobuz apps-- anywhere I use WASAPI exclusive. Luckily it's a relatively short delay til I get sound back. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up