INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving Files and Folders  (Read 484 times)

Shadeydoc

• Recent member
Moving Files and Folders
« on: July 31, 2022, 07:21:52 am »

I want to move files in the library to a larger drive when I use the MC libray tool to move, copy it only moves the files not folders so the drive is a giant mess. Movies moved in Windows Explorer are not too difficult just to re import all. But music moved that way I assume will causeall my playlists to no longer work. Moving iinside MC is not an option though if it can not move the folders and subfolders with them. I have done searches to see if there is a solution, but can not find one. Has anyone been able to find one?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Moving Files and Folders
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2022, 07:39:05 am »

Try reading the wiki instructions.  You probably didn't check the directories checkbox.  The tool has a tooltip telling you where the files are going to go.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Hoisted by his own petard - Lock him up!
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2022, 10:40:02 am »

You can accomplish exactly what you want using the Rename/Move/Copy command, which as Jim noted, you can find more details on in the wiki here: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files.

The RMC tool in MC is incredibly powerful, so until you get the hang of it and fully understand exactly what it is doing for the various options you can select, I highly recommend running it on only a handful of folders to begin with.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 06:01:59 am »

In my opinion, the easiest way to move a large collection of files and have MC retain those changes is:

1.  Make a library backup.  File > Library > back up
2.  Move your files using the tool you like best.  I use rsync.  But you could use anything else you like to move all the files and folders.  I'm assuming you are moving an entire root directory and keeping everything underneath it exactly the same.
3.  In MC, use the "UPDATE DATABASE ONLY" mode of RM&C.  This tells MC that you just want to change the internal LOCATION of the files, but MC is not supposed to try to move or copy them.
A.  Set mode to "update database only"
B.  Uncheck everything else.
C.  Check the Find & Replace Section.
D.  Set FIND to be your original drive letter
E.  Set REPLACE to be the new drive letter.
4.  Now go look at the preview pane up top that shows the file names before and after.  Do they look correct?  Is the exact path what you want it to be?  If not, go change FIND and/or REPLACE until the preview looks correct.
5.  Press Ok to make the move.

Be careful.  Be sure of what you are doing.  It's actually pretty straight forward.  I've probably done this 20 or more times.  RM&C is a great tool.

Best of luck to you.
Brian.

Shadeydoc

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2022, 10:47:33 am »

Thanks for the help everyone. I guess I will have to play with the settings more. Over the weekend I just copied over my Movie files and Folders in windows 6.5 TBs took almost 2 days. I deleted the Files from the library, leaving it on the original disk for back-up. I then pointed auto import to the new directory. All worked out well except for a few tagging errors. Relatively painless.
Music files will not be done that way. I will try your suggestions and see what works best.
Pages: [1]   Go Up