INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Managing Multiple Databases  (Read 613 times)

overcooked

Managing Multiple Databases
« on: July 31, 2022, 12:26:46 pm »

I am finishing ripping my CD collection.  I have many bootleg recordings through trading that need to be added to an MC database. 
I want to be able to browse my (ripped) CD collection separately from the bootlegs and the bootlegs separate from the CD collection. 
Is anybody doing anything like this with MC? 
I'm not sure whether it would be better to have a separate database or use an MC tag to keep browsing separated.
Has anybody tried both methods?  Are there other ideas about keeping the browsing separated?

Thanks

(my first post in a long time, please forgive and inform of any breach of protocol)

lepa

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Managing Multiple Databases
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2022, 01:00:48 pm »

I'd use one library and create Bootleg root item and views under it which would show only bootlegs. If youd don't have or don't want use specific tag (I have AlbumType=Album, Compilation, Single, EP, Bootleg, Classical), you can use e.g. [Filename (Path)] in root items' "set rule for file display" => "Does not start with" = "c:\music\bootleg" and "starts with" = "c:\music\bootleg" or similar.

mpffffhhhh

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 03:51:43 am »

my inofficials are separated in a folder called inofficials ;-)
and tagged normally

overcooked

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 04:23:54 pm »

Thank you both.
I'm very happy with your ideas.
This forum is one of the reasons I use JRiver MC.

GuitRdone

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2022, 11:26:39 am »

I really would like to be able to operate more than one database.

I want one for the old MP3s and M4As from iTunes, and one for my hi rez and CD rips. I don't want the low rez stuff in my playlists for my higher quality materials, and I don't want my hi rez stuff in the lists for low rez.

The goal is to be able to compare the two resources so that I can make sure I have duplicated the songs that were in the old system. I did alot of work with iTunes back in the day.
HT#1: Sony STR-DA5400ES, Polk RTi 7.1 speakers
HT#2: MC30, Frankenstein PC, Sony STR-DA5800ES, Polk RTi 3.1 speakers (bi-amped A9 mains)
Id: Original 120GB SSD NUC
Mobile: HIFI Walker H2 and H2 Touch

timwtheov

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2022, 01:11:31 pm »

You can accomplish this easily with one library.

To view only lossy audio files, just create a view and make a rule to include only mp3 and m4a/aac files (in the Add or Customize View dialogue, go to "Set Rules for File Display" and pick "File Type" IS mp3, m4a, etc.). For lossless stuff, do the same (you could even have a Hi-Res-only view).

When you create playlists, again, you can set rules for what files to include/exclude based on metadata, file extensions, etc.

Having everything in one library will be MUCH easier than switching back and forth between two, I'd think.
Pages: [1]   Go Up