INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver HTPC Setup Questions  (Read 1203 times)

ndgame

• Recent member
JRiver HTPC Setup Questions
« on: August 03, 2022, 01:32:53 pm »

So my question is this.

When JRiver is setup and I enable Red October with MadVR for tone mapping what is the hardware settings for the video card?   Do I go to display options in Windows and click "Use HDR" or leave that alone?  This is why I ask.   When I don't and I start a movie using my JVC 4K HDR Projector it is keeping the JVC setting on Natural and not changing it to the HDR feature on the projector.  So not sure how the JRiver communicates to the Projector to let the projector know if this is a HDR source or not.

Also what is the process for allowing audio passthrough out of the HTPC box so that my Arcam AVR20 can do all the sound decoding for me?  Alot of my movies are all 4K with Atmos and TruaHD or DTS.   I want that to be passed through to the arcam.

Thanks,
AH

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JRiver HTPC Setup Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2022, 05:27:43 pm »

ndgame

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 07:20:43 pm »

Thanks Jim for the response.

Upon looking at that link it doesn't cover the MadVR settings for HDR.   I am not using JRVR so that link doesn't help me much.

I've attached a couple of screenshots and what I can't find out is if I pass through HDR does that mean that MadVR isn't doing the tone mapping?  The other question I have is the link you provided (if I did switch to JRVR) is referring to a Dell monitor.   How does this change if My HTPC with JRiver on it is connected to a Receiver that I let do the HDMI switching to a Projector?

Also in my original question I also asked about audio passthrough so that the Arcam knows what to change the mode to.

rec head

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2022, 07:53:49 am »

Audio is easy. You need to set it to Bitstream. It is under the Audio options. 

ndgame

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2022, 10:32:21 am »

Thanks for the response.   I tried that and I got no sound.   Under Audio when I go to select bitstream it says (Not recommended) but I select Yes anyways and the sound goes away.

rec head

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2022, 01:35:01 pm »

That is weird. You are using HDMI right?

ndgame

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2022, 01:41:47 pm »

I have attached the screenshot.   I am using HDMI and I did switch to JRVR for testing and I went to audio and selected bitstreaming Yes HDMI.

I actually thought the problem was something I did on the machine with changing a bunch of settings and stuff.  So about 20 mins ago I finished fully formatting the ssd drive and reinstalling a clean version of windows.   

Just finished a JRiver install again and went through all the settings and that screenshot is from the new build.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2022, 04:54:52 pm »

Make sure you installed your video card drivers properly, then go into the Control Panel->Sound panel and select the correct playback device.

For example, if using an nVidia card, you would want to select one of the NVIDIA High Definition Audio Devices, likely showing another device it is connected to - on my rig, this is "marantz-AVR" but for you I would assume it says something like "Arcam-AVR20" or similar.  From there you can then click "Configure" to configure the settings, e.g. # of speakers, speaker size, etc.

You can also select "Properties" to see what your audio device supports.  It's possible you don't support whatever sound format you are attempting to bitstream.

TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

ndgame

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2022, 07:30:49 pm »

Thanks for responding.  I did try everything you mentioned and even when I go to properties to see formats I am seeing almost all the formats there.  But for some reason I getting the same error over and over.   

I went into the market place and download DTS plugin and the Dolby access but still no luck with that.

I have the DSP disabled in JRiver as default because I wanted my ARcam to do all the decoding.  Does that sound correct to you?

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2022, 11:38:21 am »

Can you post pic of your DSP & Output format window?  Specifically the "output format" pane?

I assume in the Windows sound control panel you've also tested the output (Windows should play a tone through each speaker it believes is there).

TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

indieke

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2022, 10:52:55 pm »

Thanks for responding.  I did try everything you mentioned and even when I go to properties to see formats I am seeing almost all the formats there.  But for some reason I getting the same error over and over.   

I went into the market place and download DTS plugin and the Dolby access but still no luck with that.

I have the DSP disabled in JRiver as default because I wanted my ARcam to do all the decoding.  Does that sound correct to you?

I had often this problem. For me the trick was to choose my Denon amp as output, set it to indeed to bitstream, and not let JRiver do anything, disable the output.

With my older computer not manage anything

Pages: [1]   Go Up