INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to insert « and » into the Namefield over German Keyboard  (Read 276 times)

Manfred

• Citizen of the Universe

In Wordpad you can use ALT +174 or ALT +175 with the numerical keyboard to insert those special characters but if one wants to use this method to fill the Name Field, MC does not like it and jumps somewhere else.

How can I insert those special characters in MC Name Field (instead of using " which is not liked by filesystems)  - German Keyboard?
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to insert « and » into the Namefield over German Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2022, 02:19:17 pm »

That kind of begs the question of how to type unicode characters "easily".

One way of doing this is to use a text substitution program.  On the Mac, I have one and just tried this. I set up a new substitution for \l which turns into your double angle bracket character.  Then I set up another one with \r that makes the other double angle bracket.  Now, whenever I type those two characters, the double angle bracket gets substituted in their place, no matter what program.

But that's on a Mac with a Mac utility.  What about windows?  I did a web search and found a free utility for windows called Beeftext, which is supposed to do this same job on windows.  The article below discusses it.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/395007/beeftext-free-windows-text-tool-will-change-the-way-you-type.html

Seems like a solution that might have some appeal to it, as it makes typing things like this much faster, more intuitive, and customizable.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up