INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Collections?  (Read 356 times)

Smack

• World Citizen
Collections?
« on: August 20, 2022, 08:43:41 am »

Hello Guys,

I was just wondering if it is possible (like in KODI) to group movies into collections (e.g. RAMBO 1-5).

Kodi does it by itself.

amandalishus

• Recent member
  • Experienced MC user masquerading as novice.
Re: Collections?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2022, 02:12:14 pm »

I'm not familiar with KODI, and while I'm a long-time JRiver tinkerer I don't know everything... given those caveats, there are a lot of ways to do what you want, but none of them are going to happen automatically.

I won't say this is definitively the best way to group movies into collections, but I personally use the [Series] and [Episode] fields for things like "Harry Potter" for instance (sorry, I can't use Rambo as an example without giggling). I have also added a couple of calculated fields to the library...
  • GroupName, which for your purposes would be something like: `FirstNotEmpty([Series], [Name])`
  • DisplayTitle, which again for you would be something like: `If(!IsEmpty([Series]), [Series] [Episode]: [Name], [Name])`
Mine are quite a bit more complicated, as they handle music, TV shows, etc. differently... happy to expand upon that later if you'd like, but trying to stick to your question.

Once you have those in place and populated with data (e.g. [Series] Star Wars [Episode] 4 [Name] A New Hope), you can then use [GroupName] for the Group By in List views, and use [DisplayTitle] anywhere that you currently use [Name]  :)

I hope that helps... or at least, I hope it makes sense. I don't jump in with answers often enough here to be very confident, but I've been using MC for a long time. Like I said, I don't know KODI, but I guarantee that anything MC lacks in automatically doing things for you, it more than compensates with the power it gives you over your media library. The learning curve is long but not steep... I'm still learning new things every once in a while and I've been here since v14, but quick tricks like this one are easy to pick up and expand with your own ideas.
[color="#C133FF"][size=18]Documentary aficionado. [/size][size=16]Music lover. [/size][size=14]Software developer. [/size][size=12]Transgender geek. [/size][size=10]Interested in everything. [/size][size=8]Easily distracted...[/size][/color]
Pages: [1]   Go Up