INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver doesn't write tags (Album, Track #, Name (Title)) to MP3 files  (Read 679 times)

mvandyke

• World Citizen

Version JRiver 29.0.86 -  Windows 10

All files are MP3 files (audiobook) files.

After updating JRiver DB with new Album, Name (Title in windows), track # and then selecting update tags from Library - the files at the windows level do not change.

If I use Tag&Rename and updated the tags (album, track #) from that application  - all seem to be working correctly.  I changed the first 10 tracks (of 20 tracks Disc 1) in Tag&rename and all work correctly. I did not update Name (Title) in Tag&Rename since the other fields were not working.   See attached files.

Checked attributes and the are set to read write.  Confirmed at DOS level and Windows Explorer.  See attached files.

Mp3 tagging options are properly set in JRiver.  See attached files.

What am I missing??

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JRiver doesn't write tags (Album, Track #, Name (Title)) to MP3 files
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2022, 01:28:59 pm »

MC has an option to allow writing to files.  Maybe it's off.

mvandyke

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2022, 03:49:23 pm »

Both area's that I'm aware of are defined properly .  See attached files.

mvandyke

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2022, 05:48:25 pm »

Could someone please confirm that when they write to the fields Album, Track #, Name (in JRiver) - Title in Windows and Disc # (Disc in Windows) that their Mp3 metadata is in fact updated?  I even converted some test files to FLAC and that doesn't seem to help either.

I've been working on this for a while on multiple versions of JRiver and not having any luck.

Frustrated in that I believe that I'm doing everything OK and I don't believe that it's a system issue or virus protecter issue as other MP3 taggers (Tag&Rename) seem to work just fine.

Thanks
Matt

mvandyke

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2022, 07:58:33 am »

I tried this on another computer with the same results.

Overview:  Windows 10 (multiple computers), Turned Virus Protectors off, JRiver 29.0.86. Using JRiver for 12 years.

A quick overview of my testing (which you could easily duplicate)

Backup current JRiver DB (100,000+ files)
Clear Library - so that I'm starting fresh
Copy one music directory over to root directory of USB Drive (F:)  example F:\Bob Seger - Night Moves
Import that Directory as Media Sub Type = Music or Audiobook
Check fields to make sure that they are set up for write access - under tools, options modify library fields  (Artist, Name, Track #, Disc #, Genre).  Check JRiver to make sure that it will write tags (see screens above)

Modify fields using JRiver Tag option (Artist, Name, Track #, Disc #, Genre) etc.
Even though the fields should be written to when modified then I do : right click,  Update tags (from Library)

Check files at windows level and 3rd party app (Tag&Rename) - NO MODIFIED FIELDS ARE UPDATED

If I do select Update Library (from tags) it will update JRiver  but JRiver WILL NOT WRITE TAGS TO FILES.  Tested both MP3 and FLAC files.

Can someone please confirm that following this logic they are able to write tags to files and that  it works for them? 

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2022, 02:40:44 am »

Your problem is specific to you. MC's tag writing is pretty much rock solid.

Use MC's tag dump (in the tag window) to see the actual tag data contained in the files.
Just for you, I checked with both a FLAC and an mp3 file, and MC correctly updated the file tags as well as the library. Sorry, but I just don't have the energy to to do all your steps outlined above.

How about you? Did you also test by just updating the tags on a local file, already imported? Do they get written to the file or not?
The files are, you say, open for both read and write, but, do you (the windows user) have write permissions to those files?

You need to simplify things and as you add complexity back in, see where it breaks.

Good luck :)
-marko

mvandyke

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2022, 10:49:03 am »

Thanks Marco for the quick reality check.  Since it worked for you and other apps could write (removing virus issues and rights issues) - I figured it had to be a JRiver configuration.

I found that under Tool option General Import and Tagging - that Save in Sidecar only was defined - when I changed that to Save in Sidecare if internal taggin is not supported - ALL WORKED JUST FINE.

I do use sidecar files extensive for Video - I must have changed that a while ago and didn't see it.

Thanks for all of your help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up