INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Next-track Prebuffering makes Progress Bar reset to origin during playback  (Read 558 times)

AJSchmidt

• Recent member

The Playing Now Position Tracker (progress bar) suddenly resets back to its 0:00 position while the track is still playing, and remains frozen at its origin until the track finishes playing.  The timing of this premature track position reset coincides exactly with the next-track prebuffering operaton.  It happens with every track on every album.  I'm not sure exactly when this problem slipped into MC29, but it doesn't occur in MC28.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

What device are you playing to?  Some don't report the position correctly.

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

The "CULPRIT" for the PlayerBar's Progress being set back to 0.00 when MC Prefetches the next track is the Screen Update/Refresh that happens at the point where the Prefetch completes.

Prior the work being done to improve the smoothness of the progress bar the updating of the progress bar and a few other things in the playerbar display were "protected" from being affected by that  Screen Update/Refresh.

But badly affecting the prgressbar is just another thing that screen update/refresh is badly affecting:-

If the user is displaying CoverArt + Lyrics then the lyrics for the Next Track will be displayed but not that track's coverart as that does not get displayed when the screen update/refresh that happens when the track starts playing occors.
If the user carefully observes the "Pause" button they may spot that MC momentarily displays the "Play" to then replace it with the "Pause" button.
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

AJSchmidt

• Recent member
Re: Next-track Prebuffering makes Progress Bar reset to origin during playback
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2022, 04:23:10 pm »

Further Details: I have tried two different Windows 10 computers with HD video displays 1920x1080 and 1920x1200, and Playing-To one of four different audio devices:  1) HiFi-Cable virtual audio device  2) iFi Audio portable USB DAC  3) Realtek HD Audio device integrated into ASUS PC motherboard  4) PSAudio Network DAC         

The first three devices all suffer premature progress bar reset in the same way: Very smooth progress bar advancement through the track, until a sudden reset to zero position at the moment that next-track prebuffering occurs.         

Playing-to the 4th device, a streaming network DAC, MC29 does not experience the premature reset problem. Its progress bar advances in a sporadic, jerky manner (sometimes even jumping backwards), eventually making it all the way to the end of the track.         

EnglishTiger's comments were helpful confirmation of the problem, and I was able to observe his described instantaneous toggling of the Play/Pause button display at the moment of prebuffering -except for the Network DAC, which toggled the Play/Pause exactly when the next track began to play.

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen
Re: Next-track Prebuffering makes Progress Bar reset to origin during playback
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2022, 05:33:51 am »

[...]
If the user carefully observes the "Pause" button they may spot that MC momentarily displays the "Play" to then replace it with the "Pause" button.
Thanks for describing it so nicely! I just imported a few new CDs as *.flac and while listening to them, I remembered this and closely watched the MC window. And I do see exactly this.

So, the playback issues I described in one of my threads (https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,133623.0.html) seem to be either related or the same thing.
END OF LINE.
Pages: [1]   Go Up