INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Google Home  (Read 2158 times)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Google Home
« on: August 05, 2022, 03:04:36 pm »

Google Home?

Abbra Cadabra

• World Citizen
Re: Google Home
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2022, 04:56:01 pm »

I swear I am not here to drive you crazy!

justsomeguy

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2022, 07:06:23 pm »

MQTT support

I will never allow anything like Alexa on my network. Any automation I do is on premises only. MQTT support would be nice and allow DIY integration for those who want to avoid the privacy invading companies.

Diverdown1964

• World Citizen
  • No matter where you go, there you are
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2022, 06:26:10 am »

Google Home support would be massive in my household. I'm resorting to a lot of workarounds to accomplish what I need here, none of them good. If MC could see my audio destinations the same way that it sees DLNA, I would celebrate.

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2022, 05:58:23 pm »

MQTT support

I will never allow anything like Alexa on my network. Any automation I do is on premises only. MQTT support would be nice and allow DIY integration for those who want to avoid the privacy invading companies.

+1

Videlous

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2022, 11:10:34 am »

Would love this as well, do not want to have to setup an entire smart home again.

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2022, 11:27:04 am »

Yes (+1)

arcspin

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2022, 01:06:00 pm »

+1
Hardware: Intel Core i5-8600K 16GB RAM, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 8GB DUAL OC
Software: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, version 2004, JRiver MC 29, MadVr 0.92.17 (Beta 113), NVIDIA driver 457.09
Projector: JVC DLA-I X5500 (RS420, X570R) -
Screen: DNP Supernova 08-85
Processor: Anthem AVM 70
Power amp: XTZ A2-400 for Front & Center - XTZ A2-300 for Surround & Height channels
Speakers: Arendal 1723 S Monitor for Front & Center, Linn Unik for Front Height, Rear Height, Surround & Surround back. Elipson Planet M for Top Middle.
Sub: Arendal 1723 1S

eve

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2022, 08:30:52 pm »

MQTT would be very nice but semi pointless.

MCWS + Node Red is fine for most things.

justsomeguy

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2022, 04:24:23 am »

What I envisioned as far as MQTT support is MC publishing it's own status without having to constantly poll its current status. I have done some things where I "ask" MC for its status and perform a task based on the response but that's really the backwards way of doing it. MC should be able to "announce" status or some change without having to constantly query the status every few seconds.

I've envisioned setting up an action where when in theater view I start playback of a movie the lights in the room automatically dim. If I pause the movie the lights come up to 50% and if stopping the lights come up to 100%. I could setup a process that runs in the background that constantly asks MC what's is status is but that just seems the wrong way of doing it.

I'm using Node-Red myself. Is there something I'm missing?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2022, 04:38:56 am »

No, you have to poll atm. It would be nice not to have to do this.

eve

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2022, 05:25:14 am »

What I envisioned as far as MQTT support is MC publishing it's own status without having to constantly poll its current status. I have done some things where I "ask" MC for its status and perform a task based on the response but that's really the backwards way of doing it. MC should be able to "announce" status or some change without having to constantly query the status every few seconds.

I've envisioned setting up an action where when in theater view I start playback of a movie the lights in the room automatically dim. If I pause the movie the lights come up to 50% and if stopping the lights come up to 100%. I could setup a process that runs in the background that constantly asks MC what's is status is but that just seems the wrong way of doing it.

I'm using Node-Red myself. Is there something I'm missing?

100% I was actually writing up a post about this to explain that MQTT would be nice from the perspective of event driven / stuff that needs to be polled right now.

I have this running actually. It's fine but having to bug MC pretty frequently is a no-go. You can *kind* of get there with JRiver as a DLNA renderer as it seems to update it's status but it's not the best.

I don't care too terribly much if JRiver can listen for MQTT stuff, but sending it would be VERY welcome.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2022, 07:50:35 am »

We'll work on JTalk a little more before we consider extending our new voice control capabilities.

We built Engen, a home automation core, a few years ago. 
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/board,48.0.html

It's based on Z-Wave and runs on Intel and Raspberry Pi.  I still use it for lighting at home and I love it. 

But the world of home automation is
  1.  crowded with very large companies, like Amazon and Google
  2.  there are too many standards and many are closed or obtuse
  3.  too many devices, with leaders who aren't well known (Aeon, for example)
  4.  a consumer expectation of free

So, I'm sorry to say, we had to punt. 

eve

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2022, 02:44:25 pm »

It's based on Z-Wave and runs on Intel and Raspberry Pi.  I still use it for lighting at home and I love it. 

But the world of home automation is
  1.  crowded with very large companies, like Amazon and Google
  2.  there are too many standards and many are closed or obtuse
  3.  too many devices, with leaders who aren't well known (Aeon, for example)
  4.  a consumer expectation of free

So, I'm sorry to say, we had to punt.

Yes. That's why MQTT is compelling here.
It's very neutral, similar to why you probably picked Z-Wave. However I do consider something like Zigbee or Z-Wave to be somewhat moot here. Let me explain. A JRiver endpoint or Server that someone would conceivably WANT to automate, is almost certainly connected to a relatively consistent network connection (internally of course). Directly talking to Z-Wave or Zigbee networks makes little sense in that situation. If you're running those, you probably have something to orchestrate all of that like HA or Node Red, taking in data from Z-Wave, Zigbee and MQTT, which is able to actually 'do' something with it.
Maybe if you don't have many other devices Engen makes sense but I don't really believe it's the right approach here.
Home Automation comes up a lot with my clients and for technically inclined ones, they've really enjoyed HA / Node-Red. Most of us use Zigbee / Z-Wave lights, switches and sensors, it's a no-brainer. Those protocols will work with just about anything if you orchestrate things correctly, and not bog down your wifi (I picked up a job last year from a guy who was running 90 Wifi smart devices like lights and sensors and wondered why his network stability was terrible....). However for a computer? Use MQTT over network. That's just the most logical solution.

Videlous

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2022, 09:24:33 pm »

Unfortunately, the Alexa home automation does nothing for me with my entire setup being google (homes and nest) with Wi-Fi lights (google does the lights without issue, so no complaints there including light automation.)

Both of our 4k TV's have a Chromecast, but I can play to my LG TV via JRiver, I just wish there was voice control for it and that JRiver would properly see all the google devices. I've been a customer way longer than I care to admit, although I am curious if the matter specification will be of any assistance?

I'm not techy when it comes to programming, I leave that to the professionals. While I trust your judgement, I just wish there was a way you could have taken it device agnostic and not pushing a specific system.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2022, 08:23:48 am »

... I just wish there was a way you could have taken it device agnostic and not pushing a specific system.
That would be nice but there are no common standards.  Alexa and Google Home are completely different.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2022, 08:58:23 am »

That would be nice but there are no common standards.  Alexa and Google Home are completely different.
It's why matter could be interesting. https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/10/matter-and-thread-could-fix-smart-home-compatibility-but-dont-get-excited-yet/

Though this is separate to providing a mechanism for pushing information out from MC rather than having to poll.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2022, 09:20:32 am »

It's why matter could be interesting. https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/10/matter-and-thread-could-fix-smart-home-compatibility-but-dont-get-excited-yet/

Though this is separate to providing a mechanism for pushing information out from MC rather than having to poll.
Thanks for that.

I'm skeptical of standards bodies.  They move slowly, usually charge money (device certification), and favor the biggest companies, not the consumer.  They come and go and often don't change things much.

In 2001 and 2002, we attended several meetings of the RIAA (record labels), including the one where they announced the formation of SDMI (secure music) to defend against MP3 and piracy.  That lasted 2 or 3 years and disappeared.  We saw first hand how Apple, Microsoft, and other large companies steered it through closed meetings.  I think we spent around $20,000 for no gain.

The DLNA association is another example.  We remained on the outside because it was too expensive to join.  It became a standard and we support it.  But we had to do it with a lot of trial and error.

If Matter / Thread really gain some traction, we may support it.  Maybe I'll understand what that means by then.

eve

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2022, 02:09:58 pm »

For voice control? There are not.
You can roll your own if you're privacy focused but there's no standardization in terms of how they work or talk to each other.
This is why tools like HA and Node-Red come into play, it's essentially a way to let a bunch of different devices talk to each other, and handle automation across vastly different products / ideas.
MQTT *is* device agnostic and extremely neutral.

justsomeguy

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2022, 07:37:38 pm »

For voice control? There are not.
You can roll your own if you're privacy focused but there's no standardization in terms of how they work or talk to each other.
This is why tools like HA and Node-Red come into play, it's essentially a way to let a bunch of different devices talk to each other, and handle automation across vastly different products / ideas.
MQTT *is* device agnostic and extremely neutral.

And the concern of "standards" changing I don't see being a problem with MQTT as it's widely used in even industrial applications and very stable.
Heck if JRiver didn't want to use MQTT I'd even be fine with just being able to set my own custom command-lines that can be assigned to trigger when specific events in MC happen. There are a few command-line programs around that will publish to a MQTT broker.

eve

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2022, 08:13:05 pm »

And the concern of "standards" changing I don't see being a problem with MQTT as it's widely used in even industrial applications and very stable.
Heck if JRiver didn't want to use MQTT I'd even be fine with just being able to set my own custom command-lines that can be assigned to trigger when specific events in MC happen. There are a few command-line programs around that will publish to a MQTT broker.
Would also be completely fine with this!
For a program that has so much attention to detail in MCC, it's surprising there isn't much coming OUT of JRiver if that makes sense.
Pages: [1]   Go Up