INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rebuilding a Music Library  (Read 344 times)

stuart4463

Rebuilding a Music Library
« on: September 05, 2022, 09:48:35 am »

Please may I ask for some advice?

I have all my music files in one folder which MC scans fine. I did a backup/sync of my files which has thrown duplicate music files (in fact triplicate) into that folder. My assumption is that if I remove the back up files this will not remove them from the library?

What is the best way (once I have purged the target folder of duplicates) to rebuild the library omitting the now deleted files

Many thanks

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Rebuilding a Music Library
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2022, 11:27:35 am »

Here is how I approached a similar problem.

For starters, I do it all inside of Media Center.  Its super database engine can help you.   :)

Note that my directory structure is: 

[Artist]/[Album]/[Track #] [Name]

so that after I do a "Tools>Library Tools>Rename, Move & Copy Files>Rename (moves files if directory changes)"

(if a pop-up appears about duplicates, give it the OK to proceed.)

any duplicates have a (1) or (2), or ...,  appended to the filename if there are duplicates or triplicates.

With that, I then create a smart playlist that selects upon a filename with a (1) or a (2), or... in it.

That playlist then contains all the duplicates, but it also may contain a random song that happens to have a (1) in the filename, so I double check it carefully.

After I am satisfied that the playlist contains only duplicates, I Ctrl-A to highlight all the files, and delete them.  The pop-up gives me some options, and I select the recycle bin option, just in case.

You may need to adjust the above to fit your environment, but it should give you some manner of a starting point.

=========
Vinyl: Shure V15VxMR, Shure VN5MR stylus, VPI Scout turntable
Shellac: Shure M91, Shure N75-3 stylus,  Dual 1218 turntable

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones
Pages: [1]   Go Up