INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re install windows?  (Read 362 times)

murray

• Citizen of the Universe
Re install windows?
« on: September 11, 2022, 03:29:45 pm »

We have a windows 10 pro licence problem and have been told we need to do a fresh installation of windows. This PC is only used for JRiver and madvr in our home theatre. Is there anything important we need to do before we start this job today?
Once the fresh install is over, will JR and madvr just pick up from where it left of, we wont loose settings will we?

Thanks in advance....

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Hoisted by his own petard - Lock him up!
Re: Re install windows?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2022, 05:04:50 pm »

If by "fresh" you mean you need to reformat and/or overwrite the hard drive with a new installation from scratch (versus doing an upgrade in place), where all the programs must be reinstalled, then you definitely need to make sure you save off your last MC backup somewhere other than that computer. A thumb drive with sufficient capacity would do the trick.

The J River team may have other suggestions/instructions. FYI… I am not positive that MC backups capture the madVR settings, but I imagine it does. I don't know for sure, because I overwhelmingly use MC for audio only, so I have very little first-hand experience with madVR or JRVR's settings.

Good luck!

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2022, 06:08:10 pm »

To be absolutely sure I would do the following to save your madVR settings:

Copy the following file to removable media before starting the new install:
C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 29\Plugins\madvr\settings.bin
or use:
%APPDATA%\J River\Media Center 29\Plugins\madvr\settings.bin

After you have done the fresh Windows install, installed MC29 and restored your MC library backup, play a video and check if your madVR settings are correct, if not then copy the saved settings.bin file to the new install using the same file paths as above.

'You can never have too many backups'  Anon
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

murray

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2022, 08:37:17 pm »

Thank you very much, its all done and everything seems fine :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up