INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3D Print Files?  (Read 456 times)

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
3D Print Files?
« on: September 17, 2022, 04:10:03 am »

Not only do I have lots of Audio and Video media, I have quite a collection of 3d Files. These are used for printing, but it wouldn't have to be limited to that kind of 3d File. I was able to find instructions here so I could add the extensions for the files, and I was able to do some major renaming using MC. But it can't understand what the file is. There are a few 3d file viewers out there, like https://papas-best.com/stlviewer_en and one organizer, http://stlvault.com/.
It would be fantastic if I could see the rendered 3d file in MC. I could do all the organizing and naming directly inside MC rather than use it for one purpose and then leave. (Many had an unusable extension so I used MC to bulk rename them). Extensions needed most are .stl and .obj.

If you don't ask it will never happen mama said.... so I am asking.. :)

Don

eve

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: 3D Print Files?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2022, 04:02:57 pm »

This isn't really an MC thing....

Windows? https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk Bulk Rename Utility. It's a very barebones but useful GUI for complex batch renaming.
As for viewing STLs? I *think* there's a way to get a thumb in current versions of Windows Explorer, and I believe it works in Directory Opus (I have thumb generation off). However, I could recommend searching for a tool to render screenshots of each individual stl / obj and just storing those thumbs next to your models.  I did it years ago on my 3D asset library but what I used escapes me, it was a CLI though.

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2022, 02:27:05 pm »

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I know it isn't really media. But it can be handled that way.
I had come up with both your solutions, great minds think alike. I used the Bulk renamer to fix the extensions, and then I use MC to catalog the images I have for each stl. It works, I can still make lists of favorite files and see them, I just have to "Locate External" to find the actual printable files. It works.

Thanks again for your reply.

eve

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2022, 03:46:32 pm »

Depending on how large your library is, you might want to think about using some kind of asset management system instead of JRiver. I know I'm trying to figure out one for my 3D objects (not print stuff, that's all a poorly organized mess).
If your files are named well you may even be able to derive tags or something from them without re-organizing the folders.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2022, 05:04:49 pm »

Depending on how large your library is, you might want to think about using some kind of asset management system instead of JRiver.
Why do you say that?  JRiver can manage any type of file, using Documents.  You may have to enable it in Options > General > Features.
Pages: [1]   Go Up