INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Duplicate Expression w/type requirement  (Read 283 times)

vbphil

• World Citizen
Duplicate Expression w/type requirement
« on: September 18, 2022, 01:29:51 pm »

I need a Smartlist Expression to list duplicate audio files where one file is an MP3 and the duplicate is an MP4. Additionally, the MP3 is at file path F:\MCAudio\* and the MP4 is at F:\MCAudio2\*.

Once I have the list my plan is too create a Stack of the 2 duplicates and make the MP3 the Top.

Without the expression I’ll have to scroll through a list of duplicates to find an MP3/MP4 pair and stack them. There’s over 600 of them.

Thanks for any help.   Phil

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Duplicate Expression w/type requirement
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2022, 10:07:16 am »

I think what you are looking for is to take a list of files, sort by some criteria (say, Name, Artist) and then to show only those that are both MP4 and MP3.

That last bit, matching both MP4 and MP3 is the problem.  In a Panes view you can easily just select MP3 and MP4 in the File Type pane.  But that is an OR operation.  It won't select only files that are both MP4 and MP3 and have the same name.  I'm pretty sure you can craft a Panes view to do this though.  It would need to select "duplicates of Name, Artist" and then you could sort by Name,Artist,File Type.  I think that would probably do it.

I have a Duplicate Finder view that does a lot of things like this.  Screen shot attached.

Brian.

vbphil

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 10:14:23 am »

I guess another way to say it is, what MP3 files also have an MP4 file.
I was thinking of a SmartList expression but maybe a View with panes is an easier approach.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2022, 12:11:54 pm »

I've used various versions of that duplicate finder Panes view to audit one pretty large collection and eliminated a large number of duplicates. 

What's neat is that you can essentially come up with expressions that refine what you are looking for and then SAVE them as presets in columns.  My first column there that shows things like "Name,Artist,Album" is an expression with a title.

This gives you a lot of flexibility: You can notice certain patterns, come up with an expression, and the save it.  So you can look for various types of duplicates.  My last column there has various sorting options.  The sorting options sometimes make it much easier to figure out if things are really duplicates or if they are not.

You can start with mine if you want.  I'll attach it here.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up