INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: media server client / panel transcoded video playback  (Read 529 times)

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
media server client / panel transcoded video playback
« on: September 19, 2022, 07:45:16 am »

hi,

Over the last few years i have used both panel and my surface tablet to playback videos from my main media server. In that time i have noticed from multiple client devices (android huawei p20 phone browser, jremote app, surface pro 2017 edge (chromium) browser and panel, MC software as library server client) that a segment of video will play (10-15mins) and then often the video will stop or loop back to the beginning of the segment.

Last night (v29.0.87 on both server/client) i attempted to watch a movie (SD h264 mkv original) using different client settings (original, h264 hd auto fps) and MC would either crash immediately or crash after playing a few minutes.

Does anybody else see this kind of playback flakiness?
If it helps, I can try to recreate this and send logs from server/client if they will show something useful.

eve

Re: media server client / panel transcoded video playback
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2022, 12:56:44 pm »

hi,

Over the last few years i have used both panel and my surface tablet to playback videos from my main media server. In that time i have noticed from multiple client devices (android huawei p20 phone browser, jremote app, surface pro 2017 edge (chromium) browser and panel, MC software as library server client) that a segment of video will play (10-15mins) and then often the video will stop or loop back to the beginning of the segment.

Last night (v29.0.87 on both server/client) i attempted to watch a movie (SD h264 mkv original) using different client settings (original, h264 hd auto fps) and MC would either crash immediately or crash after playing a few minutes.

Does anybody else see this kind of playback flakiness?
If it helps, I can try to recreate this and send logs from server/client if they will show something useful.

I'm curious why you're taking an SD source and transcoding it to a higher resolution? You won't get any meaningful gains there. Do upscaling on the client device.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
Re: media server client / panel transcoded video playback
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2022, 10:15:45 am »

There is no "use original resolution and frame rate" setting in the media server client transcode settings, so i choose the resolution that makes up most of my library.

As a workaround i have also been using the "download file" feature of the media server client, but then when you try to play the movie it still streams it from the server. You have to manually go to your videos folder on disk and double click it to play thst file in mc.

This whole user experience and functionality in mc seems ripe for an overhaul in my opinion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up