INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't access shares in Media Centre - see video link.  (Read 349 times)

AlexS

• World Citizen
Can't access shares in Media Centre - see video link.
« on: September 26, 2022, 08:17:23 am »

Hi I've posted about this before ages ago and still have an issue not being able to access UNC shares.

I figured it's best to create an 80 second Youtube video which explains the issue better...

https://youtu.be/T3lWAS2G82k

Any ideas?

Thanks

(BTW reinstall does nothing and it used to work, issue in Windows 10 and Windows 11).

badger

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re: Can't access shares in Media Centre - see video link.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2022, 01:47:48 pm »

Didn't quite understand the copy and paste process mentioned at the end of the video.  What if you go to Drives and Devices.... Network.  Does MC see the share at all there?  If not, then maybe it's a user name and password issue?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can't access shares in Media Centre - see video link.
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2022, 08:16:42 pm »

I've been working with UNC paths, off and on, for more than 25 years.

At their best, they are convenient.

At their worst, they are extremely confusing.  Backslashes are escape characters in many languages and applications.  UNC paths sometimes have associated authentication (username and password), which you need to specify.  There are "workgroup" and domain considerations.  There are special ways of formatting UNC paths to include some of the above information in the path itself.

I now avoid UNC paths for some of the reasons above.  I like simple.  I like reliable.

With all of that said:  I recommend that you map your UNC path to an unused drive letter.  Then all the above issues will disappear.  MC will work with it transparently.  As a bonus, if you ever change servers, IP addresses, or paths on the server, your drive letter can remain exactly the same.  You just map to a new location.

If that's not acceptable to you and you feel the need to use UNC paths then I wish you good luck.  Actually I wish you good luck either way.  :)

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up