INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Play Behavior  (Read 787 times)

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Hoisted by his own petard - Lock him up!
Play Behavior
« on: September 27, 2022, 06:38:57 pm »

When selecting Play from the "pop up" links that appear below below the movie thumbnail being hovered over (first picture below), it begins playing that movie, but also populates the playing now queue with every movie in your library! 

When selecting Play from the context menu (second picture), it correctly loads/plays only the movie that you are right clicking on.  I virtually always use that pop up link to launch a movie, and I always forget that it puts my entire library in the queue. Seems like this would be an easy fix.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Re: Play Behavior
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2022, 09:37:30 pm »

When selecting Play from the "pop up" links that appear below below the movie thumbnail being hovered over (first picture below), it begins playing that movie, but also populates the playing now queue with every movie in your library! 

This follows the double click behavior you have set in options. If you have it set to "Replace Playing Now (single)" then you'll get the behavior you're looking for, but then your double-click behavior changes with it.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2022, 03:28:24 am »

I agree with HPBEME (that this should be changed) and have also commented this before. I think that it shouldn't be related to double click behavior at all but use selected item logic. You can select Tag or Menu there also from same UI and those only affects the that one item and not the whole view so logically user would expect also Play to handle the same item.

For me the current behavior is a cause of confusion for user.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2022, 03:41:18 am »

This follows the double click behavior you have set in options. If you have it set to "Replace Playing Now (single)" then you'll get the behavior you're looking for, but then your double-click behavior changes with it.
If that is the case, then how come it doesn't behave the same with audio? If I click on the "pop up" Play link on a music album thumbnail, it only loads that 1 specific album into the play queue.

Since I use MC overwhelmingly for audio, this leads me to always forget that when I click a movie thumbnail play link, it will load every movie I have into the queue.  And even if this is the intended behavior… Why? Even the most avid movie buff on the planet is never going to watch every single movie in their library one after another.

FYI: my double-click behavior is set to launch "File Properties", not "Replace Playing Now (single)".  Also, I only single click that pop-up link, not double-click. So why would the double-click behavior a user has chosen (whatever it might be) be a factor at all?

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2022, 03:50:42 am »

If that is the case, then how come it doesn't behave the same with audio? If I click on the "pop up" Play link on a music album thumbnail, it only loads that 1 specific album into the play queue.
It is related to a group. So if you have album thumbnails as list style then that play only affects to that group i.e. album. If you set list style to be just thumbnails then everything in the view (group) is moved to playing now again. So same IMO confusing behavior is also there for the audio.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2022, 03:57:25 am »

In my quote that you cite, I refer specifically to a music album thumbnail.  For me, it only loads that 1 album whether I click on the text link pop up on thumbnail hover, or if I click the play icon in a detailed list.  It behaves the same regardless… For audio.

And that is why it is confusing, because it behaves differently with movies.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2022, 04:07:17 am »

It is just that grouping which is affecting there. If you create movie group i.e. set album for movies and your list type is album thumbnails then it only plays movies for that album not all movie groups in the view

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2022, 04:17:12 am »

If you look at the picture from my first post regarding this issue, you can see that my movies are standalone thumbnails, not album thumbnails. When I single-click the play text link upon hovering over a single movie thumbnail, it loads every movie in that view (for me).

There is simply no getting around the fact that it behaves one way with audio, and another with video… at least for my settings. What do you have set for your double-click behavior? I still don't understand why that would matter as I noted earlier, since this occurs when single-clicking, but maybe for some reason it does.

To be clear, I fully understand the difference between showing thumbnails vs. album thumbnails.  It was poor wording on my part when I initially referred to them as "album thumbnails", not thinking about that distinction at the time I wrote the post.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2022, 04:29:45 am »

"If you look at the picture from my first post regarding this issue, you can see that my movies are standalone thumbnails, not album thumbnails."

That is exactly my point. If you set your music view the same as movie view traditionally are i.e use just thumbnails, not album thumbnails then music view also behaves the same as movie view. - All is now selected to playing now. English is not my native so there is probably just some misunderstanding here...

Anyway, we both are in the opinion that this "UI play" should only affect the element which is showing this "play", agreed?  :)

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2022, 04:45:17 am »

If you set your music view the same as movie view traditionally are i.e use just thumbnails, not album thumbnails then music view also behaves the same as movie view. - All is now selected to playing now. English is not my native so there is probably just some misunderstanding here...
No matter what list style I choose (detail list, tiles, album thumbnails, thumbnails), MC acts only on the selected item for audio. From what I can gather from your posts, it does not sound like that is how it works for your setup. If that is correct, then some additional factor/setting may be the culprit.

For my settings, MC works intuitively and entirely as expected for audio, but behaves differently and is counterintuitive for video.

Anyway, we both are in the opinion that this "UI play" should only affect the element which is showing this "play", agreed?  :)
We are in 100% agreement on this!

Sorry that I kept pushing back on your posts, but it is important to have full clarity when trying to solve an issue. That said, I woke up in the middle of the night and decided to check this thread. I am now completely spent and going back to bed. Hopefully Matt will resolve all this by tomorrow afternoon. ;D

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2022, 06:40:18 am »

The "Play" link looks at the the double-click setting.  If it's set not set to LIST_DOUBLECLICK_MODE_REPLACE_ONE_SONG it will pick all the files.

If you feel strongly that it should just use the single file regardless of the setting, we can change.

Just let us know.  Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2022, 07:24:13 am »

I think that it would be intuitive that all of the thumbnail element's menu items (play, tag, menu) would affect to that same entity which has that menu drawn over (not sure if I wrote that understandably :D).

To me that menu item belongs to that specific image and everything under it should be affected but not the others. For album images there is a only "play" to be selected anyway and it works as expected i.e. plays the files under that album thumbnail

Just my opinion and I'll let the others voice theirs now

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2022, 07:27:09 am »

For audio files playing all makes sense to me since you'll otherwise get a playlist of a single song.  Why wouldn't you want the whole album?

Videos are a little fuzzier since they're so much longer.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2022, 08:58:45 am »

I promised to not push this anymore but I'll still post some pictures as I think that same behavior suits for every file type.

In short scenario is (List Type = Thumbnails):
I have hovered mouse over to some item (movie, song, whatever) which triggers displaying menu concerning that item.
"menu" shows right click>>menu, "tag" shows right click>>tag, so "play" is right click>>play...Right?.....Except it isn't but it means double click. which doesn't necessary even mean play if so said in double click behavior setting.

So for me the mapping is off. And I can always double click on image to execute double click behavior so it doesn't make double clicking go away. EDIT: also noticed that it doesn't follow double click setting if it is set to open tag window but the yet again add everything to playing now so it is some kind of hybrid

If List Type = Album Thumbnails which is used typically for audio files then there is only "play" displayed when mouse is hovered over the album image and that functions logically by playing the content under it. Note that it doesn't play all the albums in the view but just that one the mouse was hovered over. Same also applies for every other file types if view is grouped. So album thumbnails works like my intuition tells me

@Matt
"For audio files playing all makes sense to me since you'll otherwise get a playlist of a single song.  Why wouldn't you want the whole album?"

See the audio picture with list type=thumbnails. By pressing that play wouldn't it be more logical that it plays just that hovered over song and not all the songs in the view. Remember that this view can show e.g. your whole library not just this album and also the double click will still work like it is set

Now I'm done with my arguments I think ;D

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2022, 09:34:26 am »

Very nice post lepa - you have captured the heart of it.  To me, it comes down to this:

For currently selected items, any actions available to the user (via pop up text links on thumbnail hover, an icon in a detail list row, or options in a context menu) should act upon those selected items only, and never the entire view.  Which is how MC (well... all programs really) behave everywhere else in the UI.

I truly thought what I initially described was a bug, not intended behavior, so I am surprised it is even remotely controversial. Hopefully a satisfactory solution can be found for all.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2022, 09:46:43 am »

And to clarify a little bit further: currently selected items might be a single file or multiple files, a single album or a group of albums, a single image/movie or multiple images/movies.  Whatever the selected item/group is, and whatever method of selecting a particular action, it would only apply to the selected items.
Pages: [1]   Go Up