INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Movies - Multiple Versions? & More  (Read 408 times)

eve

• Citizen of the Universe
Movies - Multiple Versions? & More
« on: September 30, 2022, 01:23:28 pm »

Hey,

Sorry if this is a little premature as I haven't played with it yet (out for the day). How does JRiver handle displaying 'movie' items with the same IMDB / TMDB ID?  Identification of films is provided through NFOs for each individual file. Can they be 'collapsed' into a single item with the ability to select a version? Furthermore, all extras are nested in Movie (Year)/extras. Will JRiver respect this and know to not 'do' anything with the extras, as in trying to identify or use them beyond letting me navigate to them with the right click 'extras' option?
I essentially only want JRiver to use a file in it's library IF it has a relevant NFO.

P.S: Would love if jriver could handle video content 'thumbs' / cover art not just with a file named [filename].jpg but also [filename]-poster.jpg. Unless maybe I'm missing something and it's possible? (I've already created [filename].jpg just in case, in addition to  [filename]-poster.jpg which other software recognizes correctly.

eve

Re: Movies - Multiple Versions? & More
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2022, 02:44:33 pm »

Alright, so stacks seem to handle grouping versions. Right click 'view extras' is populated with all my images. For each video theres anywhere from 2 - 20 comprising the various artwork formats required, so I'd rather not see those when right clicking to view extras. Can those be filtered out?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2022, 07:55:40 am »

P.S: Would love if jriver could handle video content 'thumbs' / cover art not just with a file named [filename].jpg but also [filename]-poster.jpg. Unless maybe I'm missing something and it's possible? (I've already created [filename].jpg just in case, in addition to  [filename]-poster.jpg which other software recognizes correctly.

I'll add support for this to the next build of Media Center 30.  Thanks for the advice :)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

eve

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2022, 01:32:48 pm »

I'll add support for this to the next build of Media Center 30.  Thanks for the advice :)
Thank you! Very helpful.

Honestly with ShowTime (which I didn't know had been added), it's becoming a little more compelling to ditch Emby (at least in the main theater room).
I'd love to talk with you guys about more comprehensive Film library support. There's a handful of quality of life improvements I believe could be made, or some things clarified for users.
For example I can create a custom view that removes duplicates of IMDB IDs but displays a Poster Thumb + Name and then lets me navigate to a 'pane' that displays other movie files with the same IMDB tag. That's pretty useful but it's not super well documented.

Actor Tags are a point of weirdness / *almost* being useful.
In the .NFO an actor is

Code: [Select]

<actor>
    <name>John Malkovich</name>
    <role>Cyrus "The Virus" Grissom</role>
    <thumb>https://image.tmdb.org/t/p/h632/f0iIDIG986W2ddMrCjdnIV4lVEA.jpg</thumb>
    <profile>https://www.themoviedb.org/person/6949</profile>
    <tmdbid>6949</tmdbid>
  </actor>

In tags, we end up with a list. However this list's elements ALSO contain the role, in other words, there ends up being multiple tags for each actor across films.
So a list item for this would be John Malkovich, as Cyrus "The Virus" Grissom; John Cusack, as Agent Vince Larkin; etc.

Now you'll see I'm not asking for actor images (something I understand is probably *way* more complex than it sounds), but it would be nice to be able to store both these Actor+Role tags as well as an Actor tag.
Maybe there's an expression or something that someone could point me to that would help populate a new calculated field?

I'm seriously interested in any attempt to push JRiver's film library capabilities closer to a more dedicated solution like Emby. JRiver is significantly better for playback and I'd absolutely adore the kind of flexibility / customization that it offers to elevate my film library.

eve

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2022, 02:21:58 pm »

Image wise, here's the 'correct' syntax for film libraries, as most other management software understands it.

Assume [Filename]- in front of all of these. You can go the simpler 'Poster.png' route inside of your /Movie (Year)/ folder but since about 1/3rd of my movies have multiple cuts, or multiple masters, I've gone with filename and recommend that despite the duplication of files.

Poster
ClearArt (also known as KeyArt)
Background-# / Fanart-# (multiple #s possible)
Banner
Disc
Logo
Thumb

Not suggesting you do the leg work to support all these fields but if it IS ever on the menu to do, this is the most common naming scheme / layout for film / video centric artwork as most software understands it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up