INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC locks when audio CD is selected  (Read 1093 times)

skaterbyte

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
MC locks when audio CD is selected
« on: March 05, 2003, 11:15:49 am »

When selecting an audio CD in MC 9.0.124, MC displays "Gathering information and updating views" message, but never updates.  Only way to close is to force shutdown of MC and restart.  I've tried changing "get cover art" but no change in symptoms.
System specs:

Media Center Registered 9.0.124 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1  (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1099 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 392 MB, Free - 180 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpclient.010817-1148) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000 (xpclient.010817-1148)
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000 (xpclient.010817-1148) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive F: SAF      CD-RW4424A         Addr: 0:0:0  Speed:4  MaxSpeed:4  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

skaterbyte

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: MC locks when audio CD is selected
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2003, 11:16:54 am »

Let's fix that code.  System info

Media Center Registered 9.0.124 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1  (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1099 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 392 MB, Free - 180 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpclient.010817-1148) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000 (xpclient.010817-1148)
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000 (xpclient.010817-1148) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive F: SAF      CD-RW4424A         Addr: 0:0:0  Speed:4  MaxSpeed:4  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

zevele10

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2003, 03:17:08 am »

I have this problem also.
Not everytime , only sometimes.
And i do not have ZoneAlarm

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2003, 05:47:19 am »

I can't reproduce this. Any further information you can give would be helpful. In options/devices set the "auto action" for audio CD's and DVD's to "Nothing" and see if it makes a difference. Are the problem CD's always new ones that MC hasn't seen before?

Thanks.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

zevele10

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2003, 10:55:30 am »

I cannot tell you.
It was such a problem that i stopped to check cds to see if in YADB data base.
Since one week i have MC set to ask when a new cd and i think i do not have the problem anymore.
I will check it and let you know

skaterbyte

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2003, 03:25:14 pm »

Thanks for the replies.  The problem is consistant with all CDs, both old and new to MC.  I've disabled all auto features without change.  One thing to mention is I do have a firewall.  But I don't think that is an issue since I have no problems with this same MC function on a laptop using the same network and connectivity path.  If there are ports to be opened I can try that, but I don't know what ports MC uses.  Thanks again!

skaterbyte

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2003, 10:46:24 am »

The symptoms have changed slightly - instead of the "gathering info" window, it goes directly to a "Media Core" error and crashes.  This is only when selecting one of the CD devices in the "CD, DVD, and Handhelds" folder.  If I go directly to "Rip CD", I still get the gathering information window, but it still freezes and I must force a shutdown.  And I'll still get the "Media Core" crash, just now it's after I force the close.

The system inclues 2 CD drives; CD "E:" is SCSI and CD "F:" is IDE (the only IDE device and primary master).  E: is analog audio only where F: is digital playback.  strangely, F: has a noticably quiet sound output and sad audio quality.  Don't know if this is worth anything in this post, just thought I'd mention it.  Both CDs play in winamp 2 and 3 without problems and can reach CDDB just fine.  Control of the CD playing function works as well - a function I've had problems with in MC prior to the crashes.  I could play CDs but could not stop, FF, RW or use any other functions.

I'd really like to get to the bottom of this.  I like MC very much, but I need a return on the cost and I'm not seeing that with all these problems.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up