INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Most important remaining bugs  (Read 5560 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Most important remaining bugs
« on: March 01, 2003, 12:09:47 pm »

It feels like the last couple of builds are pretty solid.

Can you help make a list of the big bugs still to be chased?

Please don't post a bug that only affects you (problem with a specific CD drive, for example).  We will still get some of these, but some may not be our bugs.

Also please don't post any suggestions here.  Sticky view changes, for example.  There are other threads for those.

Here are the big bugs that come to mind:

1.  Audio analysis / replay gain memory leak

2.  Reports of repeated writes to registry

3.  Media Server confusion over which database to use

Is there anything else you can think of that is both serious and common?

bennyd

• Project Leader
Re: Most important remaining bugs
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2003, 12:34:36 pm »

- When downloading track info templates or visualisations, MC crashes

- Right mouse button/Send to/External tool/FTP upload takes my configured tool

- Right mouse button/Send to/External tool/email takes my configured tool

- MC thinks My Archos jukebox is an IPOD, so it doesn't work
may U live 2 see the dawn

bennyd :-)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2003, 12:37:45 pm »

MC Crashes On The Last Song When You Rip It, Reproduceable On 3 Or 4 Of My CD's
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2003, 12:39:45 pm »

3.  Media Server confusion over which database to use

I noticed when i was connected to your Server Jim That my MC said it was Default if thats what your saying. and there was no way to get back to local other than close MC9 and restart it.

Really This Sounds Like Another Problem.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Rands

• Galactic Citizen
  • How am I supposed to enjoy this with you crying?
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2003, 12:44:44 pm »

MC is still trying to reload ASIOMME.DLL.  Sometimes this occurs when just playing MP3s from explorer or sometimes it'll happen when bringing up a new MP3 or playlist inside of MC.
Toast goes in the toaster.

Marko

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2003, 12:49:06 pm »

in the last few builds, after d'loading and installing the mp3 encoder, (after choosing mp3 encoding in encoding options, MC announces the mp3 plugin is not installed and offers to d'load it), the install appears to go fine and MC confirms this with a dialogue box.........

Clicking OK on this dialogue causes MC to crash silently. Upon restarting MC, any options set before reaching the ripping options area are lost and need to be reset.

RemyJ

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2003, 12:49:29 pm »

I'm not sure I'd classify any of these as a show stoppers but they're the highest on my list....

• Open  Date Opened: 2003/02/27  Priority: High
    Auto-Rip doesn't advance.  It leaves you at the CD Rip track list waiting for the Done button to be pressed.

• Open  Date Opened: 2003/02/24  Priority: High
    The confirmation box that pops up on a Find and Replace on filename if the destination file already exists needs more options.  'Accept, Accept All, Ignore, Ignore All and Cancel'

The converter forces '[ARTIST]/[ALBUM]' directory naming which un-does directoy changes made to compilation albums to get them into the 'multiple artists' category.

• Open  Date Opened: 2003/02/23  Priority: High
    Changed made to Album Artist field in CD & DVD prior to ripping don't make it into the ripped file's properties

• Open  Date Opened: 2002/11/14  Priority: HIgh
    When 'Decode directly to CD' is unchecked, and you burn more than 1 CD, the raw temp file is deleted and recreated for each CD instead of using the one created at the start of the first burn

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

jeffh

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2003, 04:01:44 pm »

MC Crashes On The Last Song When You Rip It, Reproduceable On 3 Or 4 Of My CD's

I am seeing the same things on some of my CDs. With the CDs that I am having trouble with, it is 100% reproducable. An example of a CD I am having trouble ripping is  Drops Of Jupiter by Train.

nila

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2003, 04:49:45 pm »

• If you change the column order and move the first column to say second, or third etc. the icon moves with it and stays attached to the original first column until u leave the view and then come back to it.

• Behaviours set as follows:
    Jump on Play: If has display (full screen)
    double click: Add to playing now (play now)

Then you double click on a video file - it obviously as sets starts playing it, it does not however follow the above set rule of displaying the video file and instead remains in the library :(

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2003, 06:10:21 pm »

Even though I can download the encoder plug-ins, they don't work. It will sit there for hours saying "encoding" with very little processor activity. The only way to close is CTRL/ALT/DEL and close MC9. I have no idea if it's just me or not.

Media Center Registered 9.0.123 -- d:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows 98 SE
Intel Celeron 533 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 260 MB, Free - 124 MB
Resource Info: System - 33 %, GDI - 60 %, User - 33 %

Internet Explorer: 5.50.4807.2300 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 5.50.4807.2300
Shell32.dll: 4.72.3812.600
wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: N/A

Ripping /   Drive G:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive G:          40X12X48 CD-RW     Addr: 2:0:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2003, 08:07:43 pm »

Well, I have a whole list of bugs that I've posted off and on that is very slowly diminishing, but off that list I'd say some of the biggest (hoping of course that all of them get fixed eventually) are:

• MC is screwing up track numbers (overlapping tracks) on burned CD's.

• Songs being transferred to my Nomad II are being truncated. They are being converted to WMA format (not sure if that's the cause or not).

• My Computer : Renaming a folder in My Computer changes the paths for files residing in subfolders of that folder incorrectly. For instance :

I have files with a pathname of  ...My Music\Complete Albums\Metallica\Master of Puppets\ARTIST - NAME.mp3.  
    Changing the name of the folder Complete Albums to just Albums results in files with pathnames of ...My Music\Albums\ARTIST - NAME.mp3.
    but the files still physically reside in ...My Music\Albums\Metallica\Master of Puppets\ARTIST - NAME.mp3.

• The Search Wizard still needs a lot of work. I don't necessarily consider this a bug, however. More of an unfinished feature.

• There are a couple of areas that seem to still be causing crashes.

• The viz control that's being used in some Track Info templates has historically caused crashes for me.

• Quicktime : While it doesn't crash after playback of every quicktime file like it used to, there's still some instability there. MC attempts to display thumbnails and comes screeching to a near halt.

• I have no idea what's causing this (seems to just happen after MC is playing for a while), but I've gotten this on more than one occasion:

http://doof.webryders.com/MJ/Screenshots/wtf.jpg

Phydeaux

• World Citizen
  • No comment... ;)
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2003, 10:05:51 pm »

• Keywords: Cannot reproduce "Keywords" behaviour on any other field. Keywords entered as "hello; goodbye" are treated as "hello" and " goodbye". Note the leading space on " goodbye". Clicking on a keywords-only view scheme, does not add the rule "-keywords=[]" (ie: not empty keywords). The rule "-keywords=[]" returns everything in the DB, including tracks with keywords. "keywords=[]" returns nothing. When using the wizard to search by keywords, none are listed individually and things like "war; freedom; sixties" are shown as an option, as opposed to "war", "freedom" and "sixties". Renaming keywords in the tree has the effect of adding the renamed keyword to the list with the old keyword still intact.
  • Smartlists: I have a smartlist with the following in it: "Limit: 120 minutes". When I click on the playlist, right click and choose play, the list is recalculated and another 2 hours of music is played instead of playing what is visible.
  • Playback Filter / Smartlists: A playback filter that is based on a smartlist is not refreshed after each song. Eg: a filter based on "[Last Played]=<120" won't work because the filtered tracks are never updated.
  • Visualisation Studio: When editing text elements, the new text is only saved when other properties of the element are changed before moving to another element in the visualisation. None of the custom fields work in the display. Any custom visualisations that are placed directly in the "Visualisations" folder will cause MC to crash on displaying them. It is impossible to change the visualisation if MC is not playing anything.
  • Auto Album Analyser: Albums that have many artists, but are split into multiple directories, are listed under "Single Artist (incomplete)". Single tracks and tracks with no album specified are listed under "Single artist (incomplete)". A large amount are actually from multiple artist CD's. Consider having a "Single Tracks" entry?
  • Audio Analyser: Has "Media Jukebox" in dialog. Changing the current library while analysing audio causes MC to crash. Memory leak still present.
  • Ripping: Only the "original" fields are copied from the CD information to the ripped files. New information such as [Composer], [Keywords] etc. are not copied.
  • Keyboard Navigation: Tab eventually ends up as a cycle between the tree on the left and the search bar when viewing playlists or media library, and between tree and tracks when in playing now.
  • Media Zones: When I have only one zone configured, Direct Sound in use and the right sound card (I have a SB Live! Value) selected, selecting Front Right and Front Left plays on all channels. Selecting Rear L&R plays only on rear. When two zones are configures, one set for front channels and the other for rear channels, music from both zones play on all channels.
  • Playing Now: If playing now is empty and a single track is double-clicked on (DC = Add to Playing Now (play now)), a warning "Please select the file(s) to play" is displayed.
"Evil will always triumph over Good because Good is dumb." -- Spaceballs

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2003, 10:50:45 pm »

TV section is unusable now.   The screen is upside down:

Also it takes around 4 seconds to change a channel.

This is not driver issues as:

1)  The supplied TV software work fine
2)  Two third party TV software applications works fine (FlyDS and CyberLink's PowerVCR).

Finally internal images accessed via the SDK is still not working.   Last contact with Matt was 25th of February on the matter and I am still waiting for a response.

retrospek

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Hello !
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2003, 12:08:32 am »

Here are some things I've found:

- The Media Server is no longer providing statistics when you play a song.

- When you go to [Options] and [Encoding] it would download the MP3 encoder but then MC would crash.

- I'm no longer being prompted for a username or password when connecting to my media server (so it fails).  If I remove the username/password from the server then I can connect okay (although I would rather not do this).

I agree Jim that the last few builds appear much more reliable.

Can I presume that a new way to rate songs will not be included in version 9 now (as this feature would have been really nice)

Well Done to the team....the end is near  ;D

Thanks,

Mark

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2003, 03:49:05 am »

I think this is pretty bad,

Image resizing function can potentialy destroy valuable data.

There are 3 bad things when resizing images with MC :
a/ MC override the orignal file without any warning. A good practice (e.g PS) could be to append
something like '_resized' to the original filename before saving the resized copy.
Or ask for the users confirmation before writing the resized picture....

b/ Resizing with MC deletes all EXIF information but also the MJMD tag ! Thus after override the original
file (see a) all the exif info (date taken, etc..) is definetly lost !

c/ An even worth thing is that even if your original image is read only (tested under XP) it gets
erased by the esize operation !

I lost an original file while experimenting with resizing ! :'( (well, no so important after all
:) )

C.
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2003, 10:45:57 am »

Some references to Media Jukebox are still showing up in a few places  Every now & then I see one.

Maybe a global search of MC code for any references to Media Jukebox might locate all offending items.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2003, 11:00:02 am »

Some references to Media Jukebox are still showing up in a few places

Not a major bug, but I noticed that too when ripping is done.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

ZRocker

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2003, 05:14:57 pm »

1. Looping/excessive registry access

2. CD-RW drive locked (inaccessible) after burning a CD-R/RW...have to restart MC to gain access to my Plextor 12/10/32A drive after every burn (long time MC problem...was never a problem in MJ days).

3. MC and NAV conflict (100% CPU usage as of build 9.0.121 and higher)

4. MC keeps minimizing everytime I change the visualization window from internal to windowed mode...MJ didn't/doesn't do this (very frustrating to have to keep restoring MC everytime I want windowed mode visualization).

5. Out-of-date Help.

sraymond

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2003, 09:21:12 pm »

Here...

- TV Tuner outputs TV-out video at half the vertical resolution, until I start recording - then it's fine.  When I stop recording, the video keeps the proper vertical resolution.  It may be just an ATI issue, as the only other person I've heard that has the same problem is Griff.

Are you also calling for Hairstyle bugs?  It seems there's still work to be done in this area.

You guys must be getting close!

Scott-

Tangoman

• World Citizen
  • You are nothing that you are conscious of.
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2003, 03:37:25 am »

I would also like ripping to port all property fields to what ever format a CD is ripped too. I normally rip to Ape on a removable and then Convert to mp3 to my laptop. I have stopped ripping for the moment in the hope that this will be added to MC. Phydeaux also mentioned this is his list .

Best wishes Tangodude
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left. - Anon

SteveG

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2003, 07:23:07 am »

BennyD,

We no longer have an Archos here to test. Can you elaborate on your problem. How does the problem manifest iteself?

Doof,

Are you saying when you transfer files to Nomad II and are converting to .wma the files themselves are truncated when you go to play them on the Nomad?

JollyJim

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2003, 08:29:43 am »

EDIT
- Works ok when editing a single file (not via properties)
-     Painfully (and I really mean PAINFULLY) slow if I    edit  through properties although it seems to be only on some fields, namely the 'Name' field

OPTIONS
- Device Settings/Type is greyed out. Only 'Auto Config' is available

NOTES/LYRICS
- Notes and Lyrics seem to be crossing over

ENCODING
- Converting from WAV to another format does'nt delete the original WAV file even though the appropriate checkbox is checked

CD LABELLER
- Rotates the image by 180 degrees
     does'nt print the image

BURNING
-     Keeps locking  up during the burining process. Also, it sometimes ejects the CDRW during the burn. Sometimes freezes and needs a reboot

Media Center Registered 9.0.123 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows 98 SE
Intel Pentium III 599 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 130 MB, Free - 15 MB
Resource Info: System - 39 %, GDI - 65 %, User - 39 %

Internet Explorer: 5.50.4522.1800 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 5.50.4522.1800
Shell32.dll: 4.72.3612.1700
wnaspi32.dll: 2, 0, 0, 0 , ASPI for WIN32 DLL, Copyright © Adaptec 1995 / Aspi32.sys: N/A

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: PHILIPS  PCRW804            Addr: 0:1:0  Speed:8  MaxSpeed:8  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

ZRocker

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2003, 12:30:07 pm »

One more:

1. The renaming of database fields using Options > Tree & View Settings (selecting a field, pressing Edit button and changing the Display value) breaks all functionality in MC that uses templates (like Rename from File Properties).  This has been a long time bug that seems easy to fix (don't use Display name for template matching...just for display (column headings) as its name implies...use Name (unchangeable) for templates and other functions MC implements).

Tiberius

• Junior Woodchuck
  • A big dog is twice as big as a dog 1/2 it's size..
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2003, 01:35:58 pm »

Media Center is not reading images stored inside mp3 files on CD. The images are there as they are readable in Dr. Tag. Don't know if it is related but there is also no info of the format tab in properties for these files.
Failure is not an option...however it is often included at no extra charge...

rossp

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2003, 01:19:18 am »

JimH,
    As per youre request the following

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=beta;action=display;num=1046141754

thread was started as Media Editor will not save and or crashes...

I think this is a major bug...

Ross

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2003, 01:49:16 am »

* TV Options/Configure TV... Enable Audio Mode Selection does not work.  It has been like this since v 9.0.118.

When it is checked the stereo is lost.  There is no way to check the Stereo radio button.

This says Enable Audio Mode but it just does not do that.

The only way I can get stereo (and rear channels) back is to go to Advanced Properties & double-click on TV Tuner.  That only works for the current session of MC.  As soon as MC is re-loaded stereo & rear channels are lost again.

I can get stereo & rear channels to stay only by un-checking the Enable Audio Mode Selection button then double-clicking on on the TV Tuner under Advanced Properties.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2003, 07:19:36 am »

SteveG> Yup. The files play fine under MC. I transfer them to the Nomad II (converting to WMA 64kbps) and then when I listen to the Nomad, the songs are truncated. I honestly haven't done any really thorough testing of it, so I can't be more specific right now, unfortunately.

There were songs already existing on the Nomad. I deleted a few of them to make room for some new ones. The new ones are now truncated, and the pre-existing songs are fine.

SteveG

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2003, 07:27:16 am »

Doof,

Can you try the following.

1) Convert the files to .wma (64kbps) in MC and then listen to them and see if they are truncated.

2) Transfer the files with no conversion and see if they are OK on Nomad.

The results of this will confirm if there is a problem with the converter which from what you are reporting seems the most likely culprit.

Steve

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2003, 07:53:49 am »

I sure will. :)

Dave T

• World Citizen
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2003, 02:16:20 pm »

Auto-rip only rips one CD.  Won't rip another cd inserted in another drive, won't rip a new cd inserted into the drive that the first cd ripped from.

Griff

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2003, 05:05:39 am »

Hello

Scott said:
It may be just an ATI issue

I dont think so.

Showshifter has no prob. at all. (With full screen on TV )

Griff

townmountain

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2003, 05:14:20 am »

FYI: The Internet trackname lookup which was not working for me in MC 9.0.123 is now working OK with 9.0.124, which I updated to late yesterday.  MC 9 is looking pretty solid.

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2003, 06:52:24 am »

HELP files not yet updated!

Just a reminder in case you forgot!

JohnT

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2003, 07:14:04 am »

The converter forces '[ARTIST]/[ALBUM]' directory naming which un-does directoy changes made to compilation albums to get them into the 'multiple artists' category.
Could you clarify this? I'm not sure what you mean.

Thanks,
John T.

John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Marty3d

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2003, 12:23:58 pm »

Date handling with search and View schemes. I don't know if this is a localizing problem, but trying to use the different date db fields just produces nonsense...

Cheers,
/Martin

zevele10

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2003, 03:25:39 am »

All the poblemsconcerning playing a cd are really an annoying bug:

- You get an existing info when puting a new cd
you play a Hendrix cd and you have tags of a Rolling Stones cds you played 2 days ago.
If you want to get cds infos for many cds before burning them , many times after few cds , MC is not working anymore
-MC stays at 'updating files'

For he last two , you need to rebot  to get - maybe- MC back to normal.
If you have Windows 2000 , you know how long it takes to rebot

JNKH

• World Citizen
  • I love Media Center
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2003, 02:54:32 pm »

Hi JimH,

Do you do testing on sound cards and drivers- like Creative and Terratec?

I still have problem with Music Center controling the volume of my Aureon Terratec card on WinXP.

I also notice that when I uninstall and reinstall, many of the configuration still exist for the sound cards.  Not sure if this causes problem because I replaced by Terratec DMX with the new Aureon.  When I removed all the sound card drives, Music Center still shows configuration which is for my DMX.

Not sure if these links are causing problems to my volume control.

After a complete delete of MC, and sound drivers, I added by Creative Extigy.  MC works.  But when I added by Aureon Driver, the volume control becomes "Read-Only".  I can't slide the control.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2003, 03:26:54 pm »

Do you do testing on sound cards and drivers- like Creative and Terratec?

I still have problem with Media Center controlling the volume of my Aureon Terratec card on WinXP.

We test on what we have, but we can't test on all cards.

We don't address hardware directly, so if there is a problem, it could be in Windows or in the sound card driver.  It could be our problem, but unless we hear it from 10% of our customers, we don't usually chase it.

You might start a new thread on this.  Other people may have ideas.
Pages: [1]   Go Up