INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VTT subtitle support  (Read 445 times)

slerch666

• World Citizen
VTT subtitle support
« on: October 13, 2022, 02:57:27 pm »

Will VTT subtitle support come to JRiver?
I know it is an HTML format.

I also know that Plex can support it "out of the box" so it's at least possible.

I can convert the VTTs I have to SRT but would be nice to not need that extra step.

Thanks.

eve

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: VTT subtitle support
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2022, 03:14:54 pm »

Will VTT subtitle support come to JRiver?
I know it is an HTML format.

I also know that Plex can support it "out of the box" so it's at least possible.

I can convert the VTTs I have to SRT but would be nice to not need that extra step.

Thanks.

Would be nice but at the moment, conversion to SRT is still the smartest, most universally supported solution. I use VTTs *alot* in my library as occasionally the subs from netflix or amazon are different and or of higher quality than the subtitles on retail discs (totally depends though, some retail discs have significantly better or alternative translations), I just convert to SRT.
They're also really useful for things like Youtube where you can pull captions (either added ones or generated ones) alongside the video, but of course by default all of those are VTTs

OT: Image based subtitles need to die, I completely understand WHY it makes sense for players (as then you're not concerned about rendering differences player to player and can better support unique situations) but man, OCR is annoying at *best*.

amandalishus

• Recent member
  • Experienced MC user masquerading as novice.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2023, 05:35:47 pm »

So happy to have found a relatively recent conversation about this... I only recently began collecting subtitle files regularly, as they usually serve as little more than a distraction for me. However, I recently started watching videos with a friend who is deaf, and while my ASL is improving I'm not going to be able to replace subtitles anytime soon. Fortunately, he's very happy with the range of options for displaying subtitles in MC... however, he's really not much of a tech geek and wouldn't know the difference between a VTT and SRT file even if I had a good reason to explain.

I found an older post somewhere which indicated that VTT support was not very high on MC's feature request list and conversion was a simple process, but a quick trip to Google indicated there are about 100 online converters and more than a handful of desktop options. Since you both seem to have some experience in this area, could you possibly provide some recommendations? I mostly live in a Windows environment (though I have access to a *nix system if it matters), and I would vastly prefer an option that doesn't require me to upload a file to some random website every time I'd like to convert something. I'm a software developer both by profession and proclivity, so I don't need a fancy GUI that's easy to use... I'd rather have flexibility and functionality. It would be particularly cool if it let me know when information from the VTT-file was lost during conversion, since I'm not very familiar with the capabilities (or lack thereof) for these files.

Bonus Points will be awarded for solutions that allow editing of SRT files (or other MC-supported types) while displaying the video... not playing, necessarily, but at least rendering a frame or something to indicate that the timing is correct. Obviously, that's in relation to a completely different problem I'd like to solve, so it doesn't need to be the same solution to earn the Bonus Points  :-*
[color="#C133FF"][size=18]Documentary aficionado. [/size][size=16]Music lover. [/size][size=14]Software developer. [/size][size=12]Transgender geek. [/size][size=10]Interested in everything. [/size][size=8]Easily distracted...[/size][/color]

eve

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2023, 04:43:12 pm »

So happy to have found a relatively recent conversation about this... I only recently began collecting subtitle files regularly, as they usually serve as little more than a distraction for me. However, I recently started watching videos with a friend who is deaf, and while my ASL is improving I'm not going to be able to replace subtitles anytime soon. Fortunately, he's very happy with the range of options for displaying subtitles in MC... however, he's really not much of a tech geek and wouldn't know the difference between a VTT and SRT file even if I had a good reason to explain.

I found an older post somewhere which indicated that VTT support was not very high on MC's feature request list and conversion was a simple process, but a quick trip to Google indicated there are about 100 online converters and more than a handful of desktop options. Since you both seem to have some experience in this area, could you possibly provide some recommendations? I mostly live in a Windows environment (though I have access to a *nix system if it matters), and I would vastly prefer an option that doesn't require me to upload a file to some random website every time I'd like to convert something. I'm a software developer both by profession and proclivity, so I don't need a fancy GUI that's easy to use... I'd rather have flexibility and functionality. It would be particularly cool if it let me know when information from the VTT-file was lost during conversion, since I'm not very familiar with the capabilities (or lack thereof) for these files.

Bonus Points will be awarded for solutions that allow editing of SRT files (or other MC-supported types) while displaying the video... not playing, necessarily, but at least rendering a frame or something to indicate that the timing is correct. Obviously, that's in relation to a completely different problem I'd like to solve, so it doesn't need to be the same solution to earn the Bonus Points  :-*

Tons of software will do the conversion for you!
However, both of your 'problems' can be solved with the aptly named SubtitleEdit.

https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subtitleedit The current version was falsely flagging windows defender but you can build from source if you're worried or just grab a slightly older build.

This allows editing subs with video, has extensive OCR (and correction) capabilities, and of course, supports easy conversion to and from formats.

There's a CLI too that could easily handle bulk conversion of VTT > SRT. There shouldn't be any 'loss' going from VTT to SRT, they're both pretty much plaintext formats.
VTTs that are autogenerated like by YouTube (or Google's transcription API) sometimes have weird timing, where the words come one by one or in little groups, so that is something to be aware of but I've had them convert to SRT without issues many times.

https://www.nikse.dk/subtitleedit/help#commandline

You can PM me if you need help with it or whatever but it's pretty self explanatory :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up