INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tags/Library Field Mapping (primarily for Plex)  (Read 502 times)

samarah88

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Go Bucks!
Tags/Library Field Mapping (primarily for Plex)
« on: October 14, 2022, 03:04:31 pm »

Over the last several days, I've searched the Wiki, the support forum, and many other sites, including Plex.

I am trying to use MC to organize and tag my Audio Book files. I also use the same audio book folder structure (on a NAS) with Plex. I'm having a very frustrating experience trying to get a few of the library fields to match between the two. I've tried "TSOA", "albumsort", "sortalbum", and a few other combinations. I did get the Plex metadata to update if I populated the "Album Sort" field in Mp3tag, but I can't get that field to show the values in MC using that name or various others.

I'd like to tag the files in MC and just refresh the metadata in Plex.

Another question...is there a way to display the non-stock ID3v2 tags that can be used, so I can cross-reference?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Tags/Library Field Mapping (primarily for Plex)
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2022, 03:24:34 pm »

If you add custom tags in MC, they must match exactly, including case, for another program to be able to use them.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Tags/Library Field Mapping (primarily for Plex)
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2022, 11:26:39 am »

Jim is correct.  Did you try all upper case ALBUMSORT as a custom MC tag?
See https://docs.mp3tag.de/mapping-table/

As you probably know, the label in the MP3tag panel does not necessarily agree with what MP3tag writes to the file.  That is all set in the Customize / options menu of the MP3tag panel. 

To view the actual file tag within MP3tag:  View > Extended tags...
To view the actual file tag read by MC:  MC left panel > Tag > Tag Dump > (scroll down and look for the entry)
The listing order may be different in the two programs.
Audio files:  tags appear in the Vorbis Comment Block.
Image files:  relevant tags appear under MJMD Tag V:1.0.
Audio Books:  ?

Do both of these views agree with your custom MC tag pane entry for the case you found to work in Plex?
If so, you should be able to change the tag value in the file using your MC custom tag pane entry.
Be sure to check the box "Save in file tags (when possible)" for your custom MC tag definition.

Pages: [1]   Go Up