INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WDM Driver Disappears After Each Update  (Read 662 times)

MGD_King

• Citizen of the Universe
  • It's not easy being me, but it sure is fun!
WDM Driver Disappears After Each Update
« on: October 18, 2022, 03:12:13 pm »

I noticed that my PC stopped using the WDM driver in MC30. The only way to get it back is to uncheck it in the MC options, close MC and server, reopen, recheck, and then it is listed an audio device in Windows 11 and I can select it. This happens whenever the program updates.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Hoisted by his own petard - Lock him up!
Re: WDM Driver Disappears After Each Update
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2022, 07:04:12 pm »

Same here.

Every time there is a major version update, I have to uncheck WDM driver in Options/General/Features, closeout MC completely, then re-enable WDM drivers, closeout of MC completely.  After all that, when I launch MC again the WDM drivers work again.  Obviously not the end of the world to go through this process each major version change, but it would also be nice to not have to. :)

terri ball

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2022, 06:13:33 am »

Had both V26 and V27 installed for ages and after uninstalling V26 the same issue occured.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2022, 11:30:56 am »

Yes… it happens every time you install a new major version (even when the "new" major version is reverting to a prior one).  Apparently the WDM driver user setting is impossible to carryover between major versions, or it is too low on the totem pole for the developers to address.

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2022, 01:35:10 pm »

Have to admit, I gave up on the WDM driver because it would just disappear so often.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2022, 02:08:28 pm »

Have to admit, I gave up on the WDM driver because it would just disappear so often.
Not at all normal or common.  Check the wiki page for instructions.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2022, 02:09:40 pm »

Yes… it happens every time you install a new major version (even when the "new" major version is reverting to a prior one).  Apparently the WDM driver user setting is impossible to carryover between major versions, or it is too low on the totem pole for the developers to address.
It's a driver and Microsoft makes the rules for installing drivers.

eve

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2022, 02:19:14 pm »

Not uncommon at all.

For specific AoIP stuff I have to use a custom driver for Intel NICs to enable proper IEEE-1588 support on Windows. Any time Windows decides to update guess what? There's a good chance you've gotta re-install the driver.

That's sort of how it's always been.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2022, 06:32:44 pm »

Thanks for the clarification Jim. I figured the issue lay with the OS rather than MC, but it is nice to know specifically why it has to be reset each time.

I gather from Dawgincontrol and Eve's posts that they need to reset the WDM option regularly. For me it only crops up for me during an install of a new MC major version, and is not affected by MC minor versions (ever) or Windows updates (occasionally maybe? If it occurs at all, it is rare).  My setup is very simple - computer straight to speakers with no fancy audio equipment in between (well I guess I do have a headphone amp, but that's it). So maybe that's the difference?

While it is not terribly arduous to reset the option and then start MC a couple times to get everything back to where was, it would be a bit of PITA if you had to do that every few months/weeks.

eve

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2022, 06:57:18 pm »

Thanks for the clarification Jim. I figured the issue lay with the OS rather than MC, but it is nice to know specifically why it has to be reset each time.

I gather from Dawgincontrol and Eve's posts that they need to reset the WDM option regularly. For me it only crops up for me during an install of a new MC major version, and is not affected by MC minor versions (ever) or Windows updates.  My setup is very simple - computers straight to speakers with no fancy audio equipment in between. So maybe that's the difference?

While it is not terribly arduous to reset the option and then start MC a couple times to get everything back to where was, it would be a bit of PITA if you had to do that every few months/weeks.

I don't use the JRiver WDM Driver but the same logic applies, I would assume the trigger is when the driver is rebuilt (a new version), that would require user intervention.
This is a good thing, drivers can be extremely dangerous from a security standpoint, thus, a user should have to okay them first :) Obviously, I'm not talking about the security of JRiver's WDM driver because there's 0 concern there, but drivers in general.

Not sure if this overcomes the problem but could JRiver include a 'Wizard' that auto launches after an upgrade if the user's configuration has the WDM Driver enabled and prompts them to re-activate the driver?
Pages: [1]   Go Up