INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to use the subwoofer function?  (Read 556 times)

Moondog55

How to use the subwoofer function?
« on: October 21, 2022, 12:32:07 am »

This may seem like newbie question but how do I connect a subwoofer amplifier to my computers soundcard?
The centre and sub outputs are a dual/stereo socket and I can't find the control board for the soundcard in W10
It's a cheap computer and I'm using the onboard soundcard.
It's a passive subwoofer using an old power amplifier but I intend to use only one channel. I won't bridge the amp to mono as it would be too powerful and blow the driver
Will JR software recognise the amp and do the assigning automatically?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How to use the subwoofer function?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2022, 07:59:21 am »

Is HDMI an option?

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2022, 10:00:19 am »

This may seem like newbie question but how do I connect a subwoofer amplifier to my computers soundcard?
The centre and sub outputs are a dual/stereo socket and I can't find the control board for the soundcard in W10
It's a cheap computer and I'm using the onboard soundcard.
Does MC recognize  your onboard soundcard?  If so, you can set MC up to reroute bass to the sub channel.

It's a passive subwoofer using an old power amplifier but I intend to use only one channel. I won't bridge the amp to mono as it would be too powerful and blow the driver.
Should not be a problem.  Just split off the SW feed from the Center/Sub output and send it to the amp.

Will JR software recognise the amp and do the assigning automatically?
MC will do it if it recognizes the soundcard and the soundcard is set up for 2.1 or whatever speaker layout you have.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

eve

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2022, 04:09:55 pm »

Does MC recognize  your onboard soundcard?  If so, you can set MC up to reroute bass to the sub channel.
Should not be a problem.  Just split off the SW feed from the Center/Sub output and send it to the amp.
MC will do it if it recognizes the soundcard and the soundcard is set up for 2.1 or whatever speaker layout you have.

Yep. For a 3.5mm soundcard out, just get a 3.5mm to RCA splitter and figure out which RCA is the sub channel (it *should* be R).

I will say, onboard audio isn't great, and has a much higher likelihood of introducing bad EMI / background noise depending on your speakers / amplification setup.
Definitely consider an external D/A solution when your budget can accommodate it.

Also, how crappy is this subwoofer? It should be able to handle a bridged amplifier. Just make sure you run a low pass on it and figure out a comfortable place for the volume on the amplifier relative to the line level signal coming out of your PC. In this situation, you're better to have the amplifier louder, and attenuate the subwoofer channel digitally, most likely. My subwoofer uses a bridged 200w NAD amp as whatever plate amp it had was dead. A DSP low pass is all you need to turn it into a 'sub' amp :P

Moondog55

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2022, 12:56:49 am »

It's an old PA amp, bridged it would be a kilowatt.
I might just spend $55- and get a little digital amp.
I also think I may have found a part the problem, the software won't do anything Re the soundcard outputs etc if there is no cable plugged in

CreatedWell

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2022, 05:22:53 pm »

There is a much, much easier way folks. Connect a pair of active speakers to your computer, that have a subwoofer output, on it (I use Edifier active speakers). Having ungraded to an SVS subwoofer on my main system, I had a Sony subwoofer sitting around not woofing. So I bought an Edifier R1280Ts that has a subwoofer output. Viola! Great sound.
Pages: [1]   Go Up