INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fundamental understanding ov client/server setup - what am I missing?  (Read 640 times)

Trumpetguy

• Citizen of the Universe

I think I have misunderstood client/server basics for years.

I have a low-powered NUC running MC server (MC30.0.19) 24/7. The files are on a NAS, and NAS folders mapped with drive letters on the NUC. This serves well for mobile playback. When watching a movie or have quality time for listening to music, a high-poweed HTPC is started in the home theater. This pc has highend audio interface and connected to a 4K projector. It is also connected to the same NAS, with same mapped drives. Ideal solution was that the HTPC MC (also 30.0.19) connects to the NUC MC server library as a client. But I cannot get this to work.

If I do that on the HTPC, I see all the zones (which are created for HTPC playback with the Lynx IO/DAC, and convolution filer setup), but they can only be played "There:" i.e. on the NUC. The only playback option I get on the HTPC is "Player". 

The only solution I have found so far is to define the NUC server library as master, run a backup and perform a library restore on the HTPC. This makes the HTPC running a parallel copy of the library, i.e. defeating the client/server principle.

Could anyone please guide me to a better solution?

Trumpetguy

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Fundamental understanding ov client/server setup - what am I missing?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2022, 06:17:10 am »

For some reason, I connected to the NUC library again, and now everything works. I have no idea why. The difference between the first and second try was that in the meantime I had loaded the server library as a local HTPC library. And the reason for doing all this was that MC30 did not automatically load the MC29 settings when installed.

So now it works, but I don't know why...
Pages: [1]   Go Up