INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cover Art Lost on Transfer to Linux  (Read 559 times)

Dennis in FL

• Galactic Citizen
Cover Art Lost on Transfer to Linux
« on: October 24, 2022, 05:47:24 am »

I wanted to set up my Raspberry 4 to run Media Center independently with a smaller library on a USB drive.   Unfortunately when I pared down my library, somehow I lost all album art.  I remember seeing somewhere in Help that there are some tricks to keeping album art intact when transferring from Mac to Linux but after searching and searching...I can't find it.

I have a backup disk with all audio on it and a separate drive on my Mac which has the same audio files but with JRiver sidecars and album art saved in the files.

I was reluctant to use the Mac audio files as I was thinking they may have Mac specific drive links.   So I used the raw audio files instead and now have no album art.

Can you point me to the right help section ?

Appreciate it....

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Cover Art Lost on Transfer to Linux
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2022, 08:09:15 am »

The files can be transferred from Mac to Linux without problems.  They are the same on all OS's.

It sounds like your cover art folder wasn't transferred or the location is different.  You can set the location in options for File Locations and then to a right click, cover art, Quick find.  The wiki has more details.  Start at Cover Art.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2022, 10:11:41 am »

I can't tell from your post whether the files you moved to the Pi have the cover art saved in the files or not?  You need to either save the cover art in the files or, as Jim says, transfer the external files in which you've saved the cover art (either in the cover art directory, or alongside the files, however you configured it).  But if you just moved audio files only that do not have cover art embedded in them, then you won't have any cover art.

Dennis in FL

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2022, 04:15:22 pm »

Unfortuately, I didn't use the larger JRiver hard disk (where I do store the cover art in the file) ...I just used the original files from another hard drive --- and thus was basically starting from scratch.

I think I'll start over and this time use the JRiver hard disk files.    Maybe I'll start with a couple dozen albums to make sure it's doing it right.

I have a 4TB hard drive on a Mac - - maybe half filled and a 1TB on the Raspi....so I need to cut over a TB out of the albums.

So I guess I take my 4TB drive and copy 1TB to the Raspi drive.....Yes?

Or do I save the Library from the Mac?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2022, 05:21:33 pm »

If the tags and images are in the files, then you should be safe just copying the files without the library.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2022, 07:45:18 pm »

I have a 4TB hard drive on a Mac - - maybe half filled and a 1TB on the Raspi....so I need to cut over a TB out of the albums.

So I guess I take my 4TB drive and copy 1TB to the Raspi drive.....Yes?

Why bother?  A 4TB external USB drive costs so little, you should have one for your Pi as well.  On Amazon I just saw my favorite brand and model (Western Digital Passport) for less than $90 for a 4TB version.

Trying to pare down your music collection is a giant PITA.  Just keep all of it and save yourself hours of decisions and engineering how you will do this task.  All just my opinion of course.

Good luck,
Brian.

Dennis in FL

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2022, 06:30:30 am »

I had a SSD drive I wasn't using......the only reason.
Pages: [1]   Go Up