INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Future of MC, especially for Windows on ARM64 Pro  (Read 348 times)

TristanG

• Junior Woodchuck
Future of MC, especially for Windows on ARM64 Pro
« on: October 29, 2022, 04:00:44 pm »

Hi alltogether,

I refer to a earlier thread, since I have just read about the new ARM-mini-PC from Microsoft, included in the Software developer kit 2023, shipping with Win 11 Pro for ARM.

The advantages: Always instant-on PC with a very low power consumtion and the same GUI and shortcuts (hopefully) like the regular Windows. In the near future, it should run on the Surface Duo Smartphone. So finally there should be the possibility to use MC on all devices, no matter if it would be used as 24/7-server, renderer or controller (instead of Gizmo, i.e. with full functionality and long duration using a Windows-on-ARM-Tablet or the Surface Duo!). Concerning the usage as a server, especially the low power consumption in 24/7 mode would be a huge advantage for us in europe.

I really appreciate MC as the software with the widest functionality and individual configuration, so please consider it!

In the meantime, I would really appreciate too, if scrolling using MC as controller on a regular Win 11 Tablet-PC (Surface Book etc.) would realized as fluently with the pencil as in the Win 11 File Explorer (see my earlier thread).

As a serious user with a huge bibliotheque of classical music, also self-playing the piano and therefore very interested in comparing various interpretations of a composition, furthermore as one of the earliest user of MC in Germany I would have many suggestions concerning MC and tagging/usage/frontend, e.g. GUI from the point of the customer view, not technically from the developer. Unfortunately, a personal contact for live demonstration would be more than just helpful. In this regard, I don't know, if there is a german or european CEO, admin, developer or someone comparable on this side of the Atlantic. The german forum is not a substitute, it lacks a dependance with developers and personal contact for the customers. Since media software, file formats and so on are completely located on your side of the Atlantic, it's very sad that we don't have any influence here in Europe (only many ideas...).

Many thanks in advance for your replies!

Tristan

eve

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Future of MC, especially for Windows on ARM64 Pro
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2022, 09:28:26 pm »

The Windows On ARM stuff is cool. Not really *there* yet but certainly interesting. I had to ditch 'android' tablet interfaces for media nav due to the power and resource management issues. It's not ideal to have the app you use to navigate music, or pick a movie decide to go to 'sleep' and then need to fully re-open itself because you opened another app quickly. I'm just using Windows / Linux x86 tablets now with my interfaces wrapped into an electron app and most of the underlying OS locked out. Seems to work for me.

You can get quite low power consumption on an Intel NUC / 3rd party mini PC, like shockingly low.
The power consumption on recentish, low power Intel chips has been great. Look into a Fitlet if you're curious about something uniquely suited to audio. https://fit-iot.com/web/product/fitlet3-build-to-order/
Fanless, durable, weirdly capable for it's small form factor and not absurd price. A few of my clients are rocking them quite happily as audio playback endpoints, often replacing multi thousand dollar hardware streamers.

Classical tagged by Composition / work? AllMusic's metadata should help you there.
Not German, but I'm sure we'd all love to hear your thoughts on the interface (I know I'm always fascinated by how people interact with their libraries) and what would work for you?
Pages: [1]   Go Up