INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: With external HD, manage one library using 2 pc's?  (Read 692 times)

Swordsman

• Recent member
  • There can be only one...
With external HD, manage one library using 2 pc's?
« on: March 05, 2003, 06:27:26 pm »

Hi all,
  I need your media organizing expertise.  I want to manage my 5000+ music collection stored on my external hard drive.  I have a laptop at work and a desktop at home.

How can I use the two separate installs of MC/MJ to handle one library file to manage my collection?  Is it really as simple as saving the library file to the external hard drive and then using Library Manager to point both computers to the same file?  If so, is MJ8 capable of this or only MC9?  I don't really use the audio/visual capabilities of MC9 so this would be the only reason for me to upgrade...

JaredH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Superfluously Articulate
Re: With external HD, manage one library using 2 p
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2003, 10:57:36 am »

JimH and company, correct me on this if im wrong, but it really is as simple as saving the library file to whatever path you want it, whether it be on each computer, or on the external harddrive. MJ takes the saved library file and creates its own database that resides in the /data folder of the programs root directory....so the only time youll ever have to point to the saved library file, is when you up date on one computer and want to then update on the other, in which case all you do is just restore the library file into MJ on the computer you want to update.....it is quite easy.....my suggestion to you tho, is this.....I backup my library file at least once a day, because I make tag and file changes daily, not to mention adding files from day to day......so just backup your library and then when you bring the harddrive home, or vice versa, just go to the library submenu of Media Jukebox/Center's file menu and then restore the saved library file. Simple as that my friend

Now if you wanted to get really technical, you could save two different library files, one for work, and one for home, each with different columns, views, search modifiers, etc. It takes a little time to get to know the amazing organizational capabilities of JRiver Media Jukebox/Center, but once you get into the meat of it, youll come to really love and respect the versatility of the program
J. A. Hayslett

Blog & Gallery - http://www.bgracetfaith.net
Pages: [1]   Go Up