INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video tutorial on Internet access  (Read 560 times)

fredhammersmith

• World Citizen
Video tutorial on Internet access
« on: November 04, 2022, 05:37:03 pm »

Hi.
I have to spent many weeks away, in nice and empty hotel rooms, for work.
At the beginning it was OK to load my Android phones with albums I like at the moment.
But after four weeks...
I am bringing my headphones and I want to access to my full home media library.
But it seems I am not smart enough to know how set it properly.
I use JRemote 2 on my Android and Windows 10 on my PC at home  and I would really like to see a nicely done video tutorial, taking me step by step on how to access my files at home.
Could not find one, and the wiki pages on the subject could not inject the knowledge I need.
I guess a written explanation would be good as well, but like I said, wiki pages lost me.
Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Video tutorial on Internet access
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2022, 06:21:25 pm »

The wiki topic on media network should get you started. Then read the links in it.

Start with a local test where you connect to the server from another computer and play files locally.
Once that is working, then try a test over the internet. The only tricky part is configuring your router to forward packets to the server. The wiki topic called [url=http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Network_Access]Network Access[/url] should get you started.

23Anonymous

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2023, 09:34:34 pm »

Can you point me towards an answer?

I recently, Thanks to Elon, have internet and phone (wifi cell?) after 23years. So now I'm trying to protect against the internet getting in, or a Trojan getting out and inviting friends over, think vampire. So I'm looking for just the IPs/URLs MC needs to function at a basic level..... updates, meta data/art.... I also want to get google out of it, Duck Duck Go? Ghostery? I have no need for this machine to go anywhere else (using a local WSUS for windows updates on different nic/vlan) it has 320TB plus of direct attached storage so...... If I can figure out where Jr is going without wire shark.... I can put a rule in pfSense firewall and return to an almost off grid experience.... Thanks

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2023, 10:49:08 am »

If you have JRemote working on your local system then you just have to set up your network so that JRemote can access your files from a remote place. Unfortunately, that is not something that Media Center can set up. The setup varies depending on your Internet service and your Internet router.

You need to set up something called "port forwarding" on your router. Port forwarding allows you router to connect an outside client (your phone) to our computer running Media Center. The port that Media Center typically uses is 52199. So, you need to tell your router to forward port 52199 to your computer. (You can change the port number in the MC Network setup but most people just use 52199).

If you have a standard Internet provider like Comcast, there are explanations online for setting up port forwarding. If you cannot find the instructions online for your specific Internet provider and router, you might ask their support line for help. If you have a friend with technical expertise, they may be able to help you set this up. Or, if you post the name of your provider here someone may be able to provide you with instructions.

Once you have port forwarding set up you can go to this url from your computer to see if it is working correctly.

https://canyouseeme.org/

Porting forwarding does make your system slightly vulnerable to outsiders getting into your system, but it is a very minimal risk. Many Media Center users use it with no problem. I would not worry about it, but you should know that there is a very small risk involved.

You may also have to set up Windows Defender to allow MC access through the Firewall. You can do that in the Defender app under the Firewall settings.

This will take some effort the first time you do it, so be patient - and ask for help.

EDIt : There are YouTube videos on Port Forwarding for many different routers and for services like Comcast. Just search for them.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2023, 10:58:14 am »

Network Access topic on the wiki.

23Anonymous

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2023, 11:52:19 pm »

Thanks to you both for the replies, but neither one addressed the primary or 2nd question and went down the wrong gopher hole....

I'm trying to "Blacklist", Firewall, the entire internet except Jr.... I just want the minimum URL's, assuming the IP addresses change for security and that Jr doesn't have another breach. The only internet I want this machine to "see" is the absolute minimum Jr needs to phone home for updates and give me pictures and meta data..... 2nd I want to get anything "Google" out of it, if I have to have a search engine then... Duck Duck Go....or better Ghostery..... Thanks mm

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2023, 07:25:21 am »

Normally a firewall is set up to allow outbound access from trusted applications. 

Inbound access is what you should be most concerned with.  It should be tightly controlled.

I'll split this to a new thread, but it's not a subject that we're going to be able to help with much.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2023, 07:41:26 am »

Port forwarding is the straightforward way to access Media Center from outside the LAN.  It is the minimal Media Center needs to allow you to access your data from your phone outside the LAN. If you do not want to trust that mechanism then there is no easy way to access MC with your phone from outside the LAN.  There is nothing to do with Google in this approach.

You can try a remote desktop app, but that also needs a way through your router and firewall. Same with VPN software.

Maybe you should just put MC and your files on a laptop and carry that with you.

23Anonymous

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2023, 05:17:41 pm »

Thanks Jim....That's what my intention is... I guess my thought process is/was that I need to know what Jr trusts..... I want no
in-bound access.... and the only thing/app on the HTPC machine  that I want to be able to reach out beyond the bare metal is Jr.... I'll start researching firewall rules based on "App" instead of URL/address....

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2023, 07:10:26 pm »

Ordinary Windows firewall settings should work.  Set it to ask you. 

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2023, 08:58:31 pm »

Assuming you are using Windows Defender, start Defender, Select Firewall and Network Protection and then Allow an App Through Firewall. Then select Media Center 30 and check Public and Private.

You will still need to set up Port Forwarding.
Pages: [1]   Go Up