INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Refresh library on a MC client  (Read 633 times)

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
Refresh library on a MC client
« on: November 05, 2022, 12:08:19 am »

OK, I've seen comments about refreshing the MC Library when files change.

But that is not what I will ask here.

My use case:

I have a PC that is the MC server.  I have another PC in the entertainment center that is a MC client.

I'm engaging with the client, enjoying the tunes.  But then i realize that there is a datum in the MC library that is wrong.  So I walk over to the MC server and make that change.

My query:

OK, my impression is that the MC client, when it starts, loads up a copy of the MC library that is valid and correct at the time it is loaded.   But if I change the lirbary on the server, then the client version of the library is no longer correct.

That seems reasonable to me, but (ya had to know there would be a "but"... :) )

OK, given that is a correct description ...

Is there any way I can easily, lets say, refresh the version of the library that the client uses?

Currently, I "restart" the client  PC (i.e. reboot Windows), but that seems to be a bit extreme.  Yeah, I know i could just stop and restart MC, but when in Theater mode, "Restart" is an easier option.

Which is why I poise this comment.

Is there a way to refresh the copy of the library on a client without restarting the client?

thx.

=========
Vinyl: Shure V15VxMR, Shure VN5MR stylus, VPI Scout turntable
Shellac: Shure M91, Shure N75-3 stylus,  Dual 1218 turntable

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Refresh library on a MC client
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2022, 12:27:28 am »

After making the change on the server, give it a minute or two to propogate out to the client, then on the client, go to the theater view home screen, then back to wherever you were, and you should then be able to see your changes.

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2022, 01:10:29 am »

After making the change on the server, give it a minute or two to propogate out to the client, then on the client, go to the theater view home screen, then back to wherever you were, and you should then be able to see your changes.

OK, here is what I did...

I went to the MC server, and I [reluctantly, more like, painfully] changed the Rating of "Pink Floyd - Biding My Time" from 4 to 1.

Then I waited 12 minutes.

When I checked Pink Floyd - Biding My Time on the MC client, it still had the 4 Rating.

Is MC overriding my poor choice of degrading such an amazing tune from 4 to 1, or is MC not propagating the changes I make on the server to the client.

=========

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2022, 02:29:18 am »

It should propogate. How is the client connecting to the server... WiFi, wired, DLNA?

I used Floyd's 'Coming Back To Life'... Changed rating from 5 to 1 on the server.
Over on the HTPC, (wired to the router) I brought up the Division Bell album... still rated five... went back, opened a different album, went back opened Division Bell, rating is now showing as one. That took less than twenty seconds.

Set it back to five on the server, and back on the HTPC, that change is quickly reflected too. Actually, you don't need to switch to a different album... if the tracks are showing as a list, just move the selection up or down to another track, and back again to show the updated change.

I can't think why it's not happening for you...

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2022, 03:02:00 am »

It should propogate. How is the client connecting to the server... WiFi, wired, DLNA?

I can't think why it's not happening for you...

I just checked again, the Rating has not changed. (so, how long has that been?)

(in order to avoid my prior "one version behind" faux pas, I need to say, I'm running MC29 here.

The network is wired, 1Gbps, I typically see 110 megabytes per second throughput on my home network.  I'm a techie (since the 1970's).  The network works.  :)

Not DLNA, the library of the client is configured to share the library of the server.

Good questions you asked.  thx.

Checking again, no change in the Rating.  :(

=========

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2022, 03:50:41 am »

Do you have authentication on? Not sure if it matters when syncing in this direction (server -> client) but seem to remember that to sync from client to server the authentication needs to be enabled

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2022, 07:15:24 am »

Is MC overriding my poor choice of degrading such an amazing tune from 4 to 1, or is MC not propagating the changes I make on the server to the client.
Close the client and reconnect to the server. 

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2022, 09:22:53 am »

Make a Restart MC button in Theater View (be sure to do it on the Server so it will show on all machines).
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2022, 10:11:23 am »

OK, I've seen comments about refreshing the MC Library when files change.

But that is not what I will ask here.

My use case:

I have a PC that is the MC server.  I have another PC in the entertainment center that is a MC client.

I'm engaging with the client, enjoying the tunes.  But then i realize that there is a datum in the MC library that is wrong.  So I walk over to the MC server and make that change.

My query:

OK, my impression is that the MC client, when it starts, loads up a copy of the MC library that is valid and correct at the time it is loaded.   But if I change the lirbary on the server, then the client version of the library is no longer correct.

That seems reasonable to me, but (ya had to know there would be a "but"... :) )

OK, given that is a correct description ...

Is there any way I can easily, lets say, refresh the version of the library that the client uses?

Currently, I "restart" the client  PC (i.e. reboot Windows), but that seems to be a bit extreme.  Yeah, I know i could just stop and restart MC, but when in Theater mode, "Restart" is an easier option.

Which is why I poise this comment.

Is there a way to refresh the copy of the library on a client without restarting the client?

thx.

So this may be a silly question, but on the *client* under Media Network-->Client Options, do you have the "Auto sync with server" box checked?  Because if that box is unchecked the client will never update the loaded library from the server (unless you manually update using the library manager).

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2022, 01:40:44 pm »

So this may be a silly question, but on the *client* under Media Network-->Client Options, do you have the "Auto sync with server" box checked?  Because if that box is unchecked the client will never update the loaded library from the server (unless you manually update using the library manager).

That box was not checked.

It is now.

thx.

=========

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2022, 05:43:25 pm »

I wanted to circle back and provide feedback.

Yes, that "Auto sync with server" option resolved my issue.  thx for your comment.

I didn't have a chance to check earlier before this evening (it is 'raking leaves time' here in Connecticut...).

I made a change to the rating of "Biding My Time" on the MC server.  Less than a minute later that change was reflected on the MC client.

Woof.  Good stuff.  Exactly what I was hoping for.

Speaking of good stuff, the tech support here on this board is most excellent.  Many thanks to all those who have, not only helped me, but have helped others.

Your efforts are most appreciated.

Thank-you.

=========

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2022, 05:45:06 pm »

Make a Restart MC button in Theater View (be sure to do it on the Server so it will show on all machines).

thx for your comment.

it is not quite what i was looking for, but it did point me to another area I want to explore.

thx. again.

=========

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2022, 07:15:09 pm »

I wanted to circle back and provide feedback.

Yes, that "Auto sync with server" option resolved my issue.  thx for your comment.

I didn't have a chance to check earlier before this evening (it is 'raking leaves time' here in Connecticut...).

I made a change to the rating of "Biding My Time" on the MC server.  Less than a minute later that change was reflected on the MC client.

Woof.  Good stuff.  Exactly what I was hoping for.

Speaking of good stuff, the tech support here on this board is most excellent.  Many thanks to all those who have, not only helped me, but have helped others.

Your efforts are most appreciated.

Thank-you.

You're very welcome! I'm just glad we figured it out :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up