INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: playback "progress" bar and controls..how do I move it to the bottom?  (Read 788 times)

shaolin95

• Recent member

How do I move the "seek" bar and playback options to the bottom instead of the top of the window?
Also, can I have a "seek" bar within the video area at different heights (adjustable) so I can quickly move back and forth within the movie?
I have a scope screen so the controls either bottom or top are normally on a BLACK velvet section of my room so it makes it annoying having to make the window small to move the bar.
Thanks

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Hoisted by his own petard - Lock him up!
Re: playback "progress" bar and controls..how do I move it to the bottom?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2022, 05:27:00 pm »

MC's player bar and controls are rooted to the top - there is no option to relocate it to the bottom.

shaolin95

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2022, 06:47:22 pm »

That is an odd limitation choice :/

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2022, 07:11:17 pm »

That is an odd limitation choice :/
Having the player controls and track info at the top is the only way I would ever configure it myself, but I can understand how others would prefer they be along the bottom. You can always put in a feature request - I imagine you're not the only one who would like the controls along the bottom.

That said, the controls have been located along the top since MC's inception, and I am not terribly confident it's something they would consider.  It would be very difficult to make the all the skins compatible with both locations (as someone who has created some skins, I know of what I speak). The design of MC's multitude of skin elements would have to be much more "rigid/controlled" in order for that to work well.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2022, 11:51:34 am »

That said, the controls have been located along the top since MC's inception, and I am not terribly confident it's something they would consider.
Yeah, I really cannot see this happening. The Action Window is down there now, and has been for almost twenty years.

For chuckles and interest though, They have not been along the top since MC's inception. Here is Media Center 9.0.180 in all its default glory, with the controls in the bottom left corner. The installer is 9.01 Mb and installs four default skins :)

Retro coolness huh?  8)

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2022, 03:37:57 pm »

They have not been along the top since MC's inception. Here is Media Center 9.0.180 in all its default glory, with the controls in the bottom left corner. The installer is 9.01 Mb and installs four default skins :)
Now that's some funny stuff right there - that is one seriously dated looking skin! ;D  I guess I should've qualified my "since its inception" statement with an "I think".  Clearly what you have posted predates my first use of MC (circa 2006).

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2022, 05:10:09 pm »

OP is talking about the video player controls when in fullscreen.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2022, 07:31:23 pm »

It would be neat to be able to "tear off" the full screen video play strip and position it where one wants.  Kind of like VLC.

Brian.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2022, 07:45:10 pm »

Interesting to see Tree icons at the top level in MC 9.0.180  :)

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2022, 11:09:42 pm »

OP is talking about the video player controls when in fullscreen.
I didn't pick up on that when I originally read it, but you're right as usual zybex.

There actually is a way the OP could do it. It's a bit kludgy, but it works. With the movie playing, right-click in the standard playing now window and select Detach Display
  • Make the resulting detached display the active window, and press control+2 to to switch to MC's MiniView
  • Alternatively, you can select from the View menu in MC's standard view to switch to MiniView.
  • Double-click on the detached window and it will go fullscreen, and the MiniView player bar will be on top of that.
  • The MiniView player bar can then be dragged around wherever you want to put it.
  • Here is a screenshot of it with it located at the bottom: https://i.imgur.com/NmUfKs8.jpg
Moving your mouse off the MiniView player makes it transparent. That is likely not desirable to leave visible while watching a movie however - just click on the minimize button in the upper right to hide it completely. However, in order to access the controls again, you have to minimize the detached display so you can see the MiniView player bar, which is not terribly convenient.

Watching a movie NOT using a detached display allows you to popup the controls at will, but only at the top of the screen. That said, the layout of the MC standard view is irrelevant when you are fullscreen, so adding an option to have the popup player bar be at the top or bottom per a new user setting shouldn't be that difficult to implement (easy for me to say I know ;D).  Might as well submit that as a feature request and see what happens.
Pages: [1]   Go Up