INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library sync tutorial/ refresher, please  (Read 704 times)

macdonjh

• Citizen of the Universe
Library sync tutorial/ refresher, please
« on: November 05, 2022, 08:45:27 am »

I'm using Media Server, and recently replaced my Client computer.  I installed MC28, and restored a copy of my shared Library, and everything works just fine.

If I'm syncing a shared Library, why would a Client have to download any files?  What files would be downloaded?

I noticed some of my tags, when media files are viewed on my Client computer, aren't current (e.g Rating, Last Played).  I went to File -> Library -> Sync Library and started a sync.  In the Action Window I saw a note about "analyzing files", and after a few minutes I saw "downloading files 1 of 6550".  I hit the <cancel> button.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Library sync tutorial/ refresher, please
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2022, 12:35:10 pm »

So if you're sharing a library from a server to a client, the "Sync Library " option under File is not the one you want (I've never fully understood what that option does, but I'm not sure it's intended for Media Network Servers and Clients). 

The option you want is in the library manager in the left panel under playing now.  Try clicking on the "Playing from ____" option, and then underneath that click on your server's library.  Then you'll see options in the center pane like "Disconnect," "Rename," and "Sync Changes with Library Server."  Click Sync Changes here and the client should be synced up with the server.  Alternatively you can also just close Mediacenter and restart Mediacenter and the client should be resynced with the server.   There's also an automated option you can set on teh client under Media Network-->Client Options.

macdonjh

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2022, 05:48:29 am »

Thank you, mwillems. 

I have the auto-sync box checked in Tools -> Options -> Media Network -> Client Options.  Maybe I just thought my tags were "out of date"...

When I tried Playing Now -> JHM Network -> Sync Library, I got the same pop-up I got when I tried File -> Library -> Sync Library.  It seemed like it would perform the same function because of that.

macdonjh

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2022, 06:55:25 am »

OK, now I'm positive there's something amiss with my Library sync.  On my Server computer I have several Season 5 episodes of a TV show but none of them appear in the same Library on my Client computer.

Also, I think when I tried the File -> Library -> Sync Library "version" MC started loading/ importing files from my Client computer's local hard drive.  I don't think it should have done that.  I'll have to check my Auto Import settings to be sure, but I think I only ask MC28 to look at my network drive.

[edit] I've added a screen shot of the pop-up I get when I try to sync my Client with my Server library.  Looks like I need to change my File Locations...  I guess that's where the 6500-ish files being downloaded/ imported came from.  None of those images or documents are located on my server.

Please remind me what Merge Files does.  Is that the function which updates the Library and tags?  The way I use MC28, that's really all a Library Sync should do.  I do all my ripping and media file maintenance on my Server computer.  Every once in a while, though, I'll update a tag using my Client computer.  So all I expect when I sync my shared Library on my Client computer is to have new media files added to the Library and have my tags synced between the Client and Server.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2022, 07:44:14 am »

Make sure you have the same version of MC on both sides.

Files you have deleted may account for the difference in the libraries.

macdonjh

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2022, 06:24:34 pm »

I have MC28 on both computers, but I'll double check the version numbers.
[edit]
28.0.106 on my Client.
28.0.094 on my Server.

Guess I need to update?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2022, 06:29:45 pm »

May not be the cause, but would be best to run the same version.

macdonjh

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2022, 07:00:48 pm »

May not be the cause, but would be best to run the same version.

Both computers now have MC28.0.106.  The Shared Library on my Client computer still won't sync properly.  Example: all Season 5 episodes of one of the TV shows in my media library are available on my Server computer, but not from my Client computer. 

Current theory: in Tools -> Other -> File Locations my DVD video path is S:\Movies...  When I go to Playing Now -> Playing from JHM Network -> JHM Network Sync Library video files are looked for in C:\users\...  I disabled the sync from looking for video files because I didn't want MC looking on my local hard drive.  Is that preventing the sync from working properly?

macdonjh

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2022, 09:43:16 pm »

D'oh! and a head-slap.

I think when I installed MC on my new Client computer I restored the JHM Network Library (the Library I want to share via Media Network) locally on the Client computer...

Everything seems to work now, but when I look up Media Network on my Client computer my old Access Key is displayed.  What's going on there?

Here's what I did: there were back-ups of JHM Network on the Client computer's local hard drive.  I deleted the JHM Network Library from my Client computer, and deleted all but the latest back-ups.  Then I went to my Server computer used Tools -> Options -> Media Network -> Access Key -> Reset  and generated a new Access Key. 

Back to my Client computer I went to Playing Now -> Playing From -> Add Library and entered JHM Network and my new Access Key. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up