INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How can I give my neighbor access to my JRiver Remote?  (Read 706 times)

baldo

• World Citizen
How can I give my neighbor access to my JRiver Remote?
« on: November 09, 2022, 09:55:56 am »

I use the jriver remote on my iPhone. Sometimes I get a little carried away with the volume levels on my system and my neighbors get a little upset.

Can I get my neighbor to download the JRiver app and then link it to my system?  Will they need to be on the same network as me as well?  So I assume that they will need my wifi password.

Many thanks for your help on this.

Baldo

davelr

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Ho can I give my neighbor access to my JRiver Remote?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2022, 10:29:55 am »

Maybe just be a little more considerate of your neighbors to begin with.

Giving network access to someone you've just pissed off seems sketchy at best.

badger

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re: Ho can I give my neighbor access to my JRiver Remote?
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2022, 10:44:41 am »

Well if you activate media network... give your neighbor the access key... and open MC's TCP port on your router... you could give access to anybody/anywhere.  I have good neighbors, but I don't think I'd give any of them access to my network and/or my system.

atreides

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: How can I give my neighbor access to my JRiver Remote?
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2022, 05:50:36 pm »

I’ve had a neighbor or two that I wished for their volume controller.

baldo

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2022, 08:17:58 am »

for the record, I have a VERY GOOD relationship with my neighbors. That is why I feel comfortable and ok in giving them access to my music system. They have keys to my appartment, their kids come up to my appartment to watch TV, raid my fridge for candy etc etc. So I have not issues giving them access.

I have not "pissed them off". I thought they were away and they actually came home at a time that I did not realize.  Normally we tell each other when we are going to be away.

Besides, all they will be able to do is to access the remote control on my system, hardly a life threatening thing!

What I asked was HOW to do this, NOT if it was a good idea or what are the risks or anything like that. hope that helps people to understand where I am coming from.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2022, 08:23:21 am »

Panel would be simpler.

baldo

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2022, 11:09:23 am »

What is Panel dear Sir?

Let me have a wiki link or whatever so that I can look it up please and and advice on how to set it up.

Many thanks

baldo

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2022, 11:14:11 am »

Ok, I found panel.

But this just enables me to play from a web browser.  How can I send my neighbor a link. Remember they are not very tech savy, even less so than me.

Giving them the key to the remote app seems the easiest way right now.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2022, 01:12:05 pm »

Did you read the wiki topic on panel? They could connect from a browser and control volume if necessary.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2022, 01:51:46 pm »

So this actually is not that hard but has lots of caveats. You need to open access from the internet to your MC server, then give the access codes to your neighbor. It IS simpler to give him access to your WIFI as well (not WIFE), but with that he really has access to your entire network and potentially all devices in it... (we're all really freaked out by your digital promiscuity, but let's ignore it :P ).

Solution A - sharing the Wifi:
You can just give him your wifi password. He could then install JRemote/JRemote2 to control the volume, just like you do. However, each time he wants to do that he needs to disconnect from his own Wifi, connect to your own, start JRemote, change volume, then reconnect back to his own Wifi. It's annoying. Plus, depending on your wifi range he might need to go to your property anyway to get signal, so that kind of defeats the purpose.

Solution B - access via Internet:
This will give access to your MC. He can install the full MC, or can also use JRemote/JRemote2 which is simpler.
B1 - sharing MC:
- in your MC Server, go to Options->Media Network
- enable "Use Media Network" (it's likely already enable since you use JRemote yourself)
- note the access key generated by MC
- enable "Authentication" and enter any Username/Password that you want to use. This becomes the user/pass you need to know to access MC with full permissions.
- Set "read-only authentication" to "Username and Password"
- Click on "read-only authentication login" and enter any username/password. This becomes the user/pass you need to share with your neighbor for read-only access, enabling him to play stuff and change volume, but not delete stuff by accident.

B2 - opening access from the internet:
You now need to tell your Router to allow and redirect incoming connections to MC Server. You may need more help on this (ask your 8yo nephew), but here's the gist of it:
- open the admin page to your router in a browser
- find the "Port Forward" or "Port Sharing" or some such section on the router config
- Add an entry to allow TCP port 52199, tell it to redirect to your MC Server machine on the same port 52199 (some routers list the hostnames available on your network; for other routers you will need to know the IP address of your MC Server, something like 192.168.1.101)

B3 - accessing it:
- install JRemote/JRemote2 on a phone
- share the Access Key and the GUEST username/password defined above with your neighbor
- connect to MC using the Access Key (same as you do on your own phone), and that guest user/pass. It should now work even when you're not connected to your wifi
- alternatively, install the full MC application on his computer, and connect it to your MC using the Access Key + guest credentials.

Step B2 is usually the tricky part, as different routers have different configuration methods. If B3 is not working, go back to B2 to recheck the router settings. Here's how you can tell if B2 is working:
- open https://wtfismyip.com/
- note YOUR IP address given by that page
- open a browser and type this address (without spaces): http ://YOUR_IP:52199 (example: http ://84.35.126.4:52199)
- MC Panel should open.

- go to MC Settings, click on the Access Key and select "Test Connection to this server"
- [better] alternative provided by Jim: go to https://jriver.com/panel.html and enter your access key there to test

Solution C
- buy a universal remote, configure it for your AMP and give it to your neighbor
- open the window for line-of-sight  ;D

Good luck!

JimH

• Administrator
Pages: [1]   Go Up