INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting file types association  (Read 641 times)

cyrusmd

• Recent member
Setting file types association
« on: November 08, 2022, 02:09:30 pm »

After Installing MC 30, I am having a hard time having MC retaining the settings. I have gone through and set up the file type association. MC retains it for the current session. After exiting the software and restarting the software, all my file type associations that I had set have change to "NO"

At installation time I was able to set up some of the file type associations but when inside the software there are more selections that were not there at instalation time.

Anyone else having the same issue?

Thanx
Cyrus

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Setting file types association
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2022, 03:22:38 pm »

Are you using MC in a client / server mode?

cyrusmd

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2022, 07:44:23 pm »

JimH, how would I know if I am running MC in a client / server mode? Screenshots attached

Please advise so I can get you the answer.

Thanx
Cyrus

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2022, 08:01:42 pm »

JimH, how would I know if I am running MC in a client / server mode?
If there is more than one MC PC in your network, at least one must be running a MC server process in order for another one to choose to become its client.

Your settings in Options > Media Network indicate the PC could be running an MC Server process when MC starts up.  Then another computer on the network can optionally choose to be its client.

On the MC Server:
Startup > Windows Startup > Run on Windows startup: Media Server (...)
You have not selected that startup option, so whatever PC your are looking at, it is probably not automatically running an MC server process at Windows startup.

Additional checks you can view at any time, like before and after you first start up MC:
If the Media Server process is running on a given PC, it appears in Windows Task Manager > Background Processes > Media Center Service

More detail is given in Computer Management > Services and Applications > Services > JRiver Media Center 30 Service
(or type "Services" in Windows search).

Still another check within MC:  Tree > Services & plug-ins > Media Network > Server ...
If the PC is running MC Servers, there will be activity recorded in the Activity log window.
If not, the window will be static or empty.
The window will be empty for a pure MC client, even when it is connected to a MC server PC.

If a MC PC is to be a client, it must load a server library (RMB "Load") under the Tree > Playing from ...
Then the Tree will indicate something other than "Playing from Main Library".

cyrusmd

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2022, 01:19:53 pm »

Mark, so now I am running the "Media Server" at Windows startup now. I saved the file associations yesterday and they looked saved but today they were reset back to "NO"

These are the ones that do not want to stay at checked "YES"

Shockwave (.swf)
Comic files (.cbz, .cbr)
Electronic Books (.epub,.mobi)
Foobar Playlist (.fpl)
TitanTV Program Info (.tvpi, .tvvi)
DVD Video (dvdvideodisc)

What I don't understand is, what does setting the file association have to with the Window startup option.

Please enlighten.

Thanx

Cyrus

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2022, 11:19:21 pm »

What I don't understand is, what does setting the file association have to with the Window startup option.
I only went through the elaborate explanation to (hopefully) clarify MC's server/client terminology.  I did not mean to imply that either mode impacted file associations.

I am guessing the reason Jim asked the question in the first place is because of concern that a client might "inherit" file associations from the server.  If you are now running the PC as a MC server only and are Playing from Main Library, it seems to me that would prevent any possibility of inheritance of file associations on that PC.

One thing you could try is doing a library backup after setting your desired associations.  If the associations get turned off, then you can see if a library restore turns them back on.  Just a Band-Aid that might help until the issue is fully resolved.

Your list of specific non-sticky associations should help JRiver engineers (and any other interested parties) reproduce (or not) the problem.  From your Startup screenshot it appears you are running a Windows operating system, but what version?  Have you looked at Windows > Settings > Apps and determined how the file associations listed there respond to your MC settings?

cyrusmd

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2022, 12:37:21 pm »

Mark,

I am running Windows 10 PRO, version: 21H2 and build: 1904.2251

I checked under the "Set default by apps" and Choose default apps by file type" and found the following;

Shockwave (.swf) the extension does not exist under both types
Comic files (.cbz, .cbr) the extension does not exist under both types
Electronic Books (.epub,.mobi) .epub does not exist and .mobi is associated to Kindle
Foobar Playlist (.fpl) the extension does not exists under both types
TitanTV Program Info (.tvpi, .tvvi) the extension does not exists under both types
DVD Video (dvdvideodisc) shows associate to JRiver Media Center 30, however in JRiver MC it does not show the association

Thanks for your help
Cyrus
Pages: [1]   Go Up